Mobile Device Inventory - Enforce Mobile Device Name BUGGY

EduTech
New Contributor III

Has anyone else experienced a lot of Bugs with Enforce Mobile Device Name? I feel like I change a name of an iPad and it sticks about 50% of the time. I usually have to go back in edit again and then after multiple attempts it changes.

3 REPLIES 3

logancautrell
New Contributor II

I'm having a lot of issue with pre-stage enrollments and enforce device name. On one prestage it worked fine for 30 iPads. On a second with 5 iPad it doesn't seem to be working at all. I can't manually change them via device details either.

logancautrell
New Contributor II

In my case, I believe that I was able to track down the issue. Prestage enrollment and configuration profiles BOTH have options for disabling change of the device name. I enabled device name changes in the configuration profile but disable in prestage enrollment. The name can be modified locally, but when inventory is collected the name is automatically reset. This works fine for my use case because the inventory never picks up the local changes to the name.

This can get a bit confusing. There are 3 places to set/restrict the device name:

PreStage Enrollments:
Set name and restrict changing name locally.
"Mobile device name will revert to the value entered if the device name is changed by the user"

MDM Commands (from the device record in Jamf admin): 
Set name and restrict changing name locally.
"Mobile device name will revert to the value entered if the device name is changed by the user"

Configuration Profiles (Restrictions payload):
Restrict modifying name locally.

"iOS 9 or later, tvOS 11 or later, Supervised"