MobileConfig profile - not enough access

bbot
Contributor

I'm working on building a script to put into Self-Service that will allow users to generate a new wifi certificate. I want it to pull from the mobileconfig that I created, but I'm running into an access issue since our configuration profile grays out the Profile tab. It works if I turn off the restriction on the profiles button.
Is there a way around it?

I'm thinking I can unblock the profiles tab, and hide it. (view >> customize). Not sure if this is the best possible solution. If so, I'll need to figure out a way to add this into a configuration profile.

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Profiles can be installed on the command line with the 'profiles' command. If the .mobileconfig profile is being dropped on the Mac as part of an install package, you can have a script install it to the user's space, which bypasses the grayed out Profiles Preference Pane.

bbot
Contributor

What is the profiles command? jamf profiles nameofprofile.mobileconfig ?

nessts
Valued Contributor II

sudo profiles -h if you need any other options
This will install
sudo profiles -I -F /path/to/some.mobileconfig

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

In Terminal do man profiles to see information on how to use the profiles binary. It's built into the OS now going back quite a few versions.

bbot
Contributor

Thanks. I will take a look into this. My objective is to build a self service tool for users to re-add Wifi certificates. I'm assuming there's a way to script it using the "profiles" command?

bbot
Contributor

I'm trying this in a script with no luck. What am I doing wrong?

/usr/bin/su -l $3 -c "/usr/bin/profiles -I -F /Library/Updates/nameof.mobileconfig"