Monitor / block installation of unauthorised apps

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

Is there a way we can monitor and/or block installation of unauthorised applications by non-administrators on macOS, while still allowing them to install authorised applications through Self Service?

Thanks,
Dan Jackson (Senior ITServices Technician)
Long Road Sixth Form College
Cambridge, UK.

2 REPLIES 2

al786
New Contributor III

You could try "restricted software" to do this and type in all the apps to kill the process and delete the app from the machines of non-administrators through a smart group.

The better option may be to use "Configuration Profile" > Restrictions > and uncheck "allow non-admins to install..." you could also restrict the applications allowed to launch and further refine this by also using a smart group of the machines not-owned by an admin (unless you have multiple users per machine and in that case just uncheck "allow non admins"

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

@al786 The "Require admin password to install or update apps" setting is the one at issue. With this enabled, the user is unable to install a Mac App Store app from Self Service (they are prompted for admin credentials by "storedownloadd").

I was wondering, if I was to uncheck this setting, whether I could monitor or prevent students from installing other apps (for example from downloads or from USB sticks).