Monterey Mac Mini "Enter Password" grayed out at login

rpayne
Contributor II

I have a Mac mini that after upgrading to Monterey 12.7.5 will not allow a password to be entered. Tried multiple keyboards (this machine is usually headless). Keyboard still works in recovery. Mouse works at login. No policies/CPs have been scoped to limit input. Was fine before the update. Anyone seeing something like this?

8 REPLIES 8

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Zap PRAM thing?

rpayne
Contributor II

Sorry I forgot to mention that I've already reset the PRAM.

JevermannNG
Contributor II

What kind of Mac mini model? Is there any other hardware connected to the Mac?

Did you try to boot into Recovery Mode and to re-install the macOS from there?

Are you using an original Apple Keyboard and Mouse?

rpayne
Contributor II

This is an i7 Mini. I've tried 3 different Apple original keyboards(USB, Magic, Magic w/ num pad). I can get into recovery fine and the keyboard works in that environment. I reinstalled the OS from recovery. During the install, the keyboard again worked fine. When it was finished and dropped to the login window, the password entry was grayed out again. At this screen keyboard shortcuts work. You just can't type in the password field. I think I may just kill it.

I would remove the Mac from ABM,

then boot from from an external USB Drive with a clean macOS on it,

same Problem?

This is exactly what I did. No issues. Re-enrolling it and still not having the issue. So... fixed? Unfortunately I blew out the issue so a root cause isn't possible now. 

I tried going through CPs that were scoped and removed them one by one. No change. I ended up killing it and the issue is now not present.