Mount OneDrive as a Network Share

emfrank
New Contributor

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for methods or products to mount OneDrive for Business as a network share upon login to a machine. I am seeking to implement a way to mount OneDrive without needing to sync a user's OneDrive library to the device because the machines are shared.

7 REPLIES 7

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

This old thread suggests that it can't be done in macOS yet, and I don't think that situation has changed since the thread was created.

I would dearly love such a solution as my shop is using it more and more. There might be some third party/commercial solutions that do the job, but I've never used any so YMMV.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

It is sorely needed but we are learning to work around the absence of it. It’s an especially acute problem when dealing with 128 Gb hard drives and the user is a databug.

What we do is instruct our user base to create a folder named a specific thing and exclude it from syncing.

Look
Valued Contributor III

From my experience about 6 months ago it definitely falls into the very dificult to impossible at this time basket.
Windows was pretty easy to do this on, but when you applied the exact same logic on macOS it just didn't work, even with identical settings. Pretty sure there are a few things in there where MS has wandered away from standard in their implementation...

ICTMuttenz
Contributor

Hello

We had a similar problem. We remove the user profil after 6 hour. So, how we can handeln this?

The OneDrive for Business App don't allow to select a smd share. But you can select normal folder. And this folder you can share it as smb share. After that you can mount on a maschine. But we do still some test. We test whith target disk or whith a software of acronis. But we use one Account and then we share just the groups.

emfrank
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses! Definitely good information even if it is not totally possible at this point.

mberger
New Contributor II

If it cant be mounted as a network drive is there a way to at least show the OneDrive folder in favorites side pane under Finder? The issue our users are running into is they don't see their OneDrive folder front and present and are just saving things to their normal documents folder. I'm aware the OneDrive is in the dock and top bar but it's been reported as "confusing".

mattcastel
New Contributor

CloudMounter ($29.99 + support) can help you achieving this. It's a good alternative to the File On Demand feature that Microsoft just deployed. Transmit can also achieve this.