Mount Soft Volume through CASPER

dabus
New Contributor

Hi all!
I'm trying to mount volumes to all of my users automatically. (desktop and notebook)
In Casper, at Configuration Profiles I have created a new one. Under Optionslogin items I just add the smb path that i wanna mount. This is working fine to all my MACdesktops.
I have two questions:
1 -Volume folder open directly once is mounted. Is there any way to do not allow to open automatically the volume folder ?
2- The problem is when notebooks try to map it, as you know wifi is not enable before the login, so once the user is logged an error message apears with " can't mount drive " or something like that. Is possible to delay the mount drive to be done after wifi is connected?

1 REPLY 1

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I found somewhat of a workaround for those issues in my environment - rather than mounting the volumes for users, I just make it ridiculously easy to mount the volumes themselves. I put dockutil on everyone's Mac, and I have a small script (triggered by a login policy) in Casper:

#!/bin/sh

# Get logging-in user's home folder
userhome=`eval "echo ~$3/"`

# Add dock item
dockutil --add "$4" --label "$5" --replacing "$5" "$userhome"
echo "Added $5 to $3's dock."

That allows me to add the network share (by URL) directly to users' docks, and they can just click it to mount the drive. Obviously it won't work if you're mounting these volumes for background software, etc. to use automatically, but if it's just for the sake of allowing users to access the network resources, a different approach may be the path of least resistance.