Multiple JSS and Network Segments

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

Due to bureaucracy, my work environment has two completely different JSS installations set up. They don't really affect each other most of the time. Our JSS only has the network segments our department uses put in it. There are several other segments that may be used by the other JSS, but I have no idea which ones are in their JSS.

There is a package that may need to run only while on our campus. Our network segments won't cover every possible building the machines we manage may be in. If I make a network segment(no default netboot/distribution point) that covered a network segment in the other JSS, would it interfere with the other JSS? I don't want to break their imaging or distribution to make one of our packages install more easily.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

If I am understanding right, it would never affect their environment because your machines will still be getting their information only from your JSS and their machines from their JSS. So whatever you set up for network segments will only ever be seen by your machines when talking to your JSS.

View solution in original post

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@McAwesome my understanding is that the JSS uses the most restrictive network segment first.

So, in our environment we have network segments for the individual offices (ex. 10.49.4.0 - 10.49.7.254), but then we have an all inclusive network segment that covers every possible IP (1.1.1.1 - 255.255.255.255) to catch all external IP addresses when machines are checking in to the JSS in the DMZ.

If I client checks in with an IP of 10.49.4.40 it will use the default settings for the network segment that covers 10.49.4.0 - 10.49.7.254 before it goes to the network segment that covers every IP available for our external devices.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

If I am understanding right, it would never affect their environment because your machines will still be getting their information only from your JSS and their machines from their JSS. So whatever you set up for network segments will only ever be seen by your machines when talking to your JSS.

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

@chriscollins That's good. I just wanted to make sure I didn't break their imaging setup by creating a network segment overlapping theirs.

Do you know if there is a hierarchy on the segments? So if one segment(default netboot +distribution point set) covered a range like 104.204.1.1 through 104.204.255.255 while another segment(different netboot+distribution point) with a range of 104.204.70.1 through 104.204.70.255, would it use the netboot+distribution point of the broader first segment or the narrower second segment?

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@McAwesome my understanding is that the JSS uses the most restrictive network segment first.

So, in our environment we have network segments for the individual offices (ex. 10.49.4.0 - 10.49.7.254), but then we have an all inclusive network segment that covers every possible IP (1.1.1.1 - 255.255.255.255) to catch all external IP addresses when machines are checking in to the JSS in the DMZ.

If I client checks in with an IP of 10.49.4.40 it will use the default settings for the network segment that covers 10.49.4.0 - 10.49.7.254 before it goes to the network segment that covers every IP available for our external devices.