MySQL Question

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I noticed that my JSS was acting sluggish this morning so I checked the JAMFSoftwareServer.log and noticed that it was spitting out MassDeleteLog errors. The error states that my max_allowed_packet size needs to be adjusted. Right now its at 1M, and right now the logs are at 40M. What is a realistic size to set max_allowed_packet size to?

Thanks
Allen

6 REPLIES 6

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Allen,

Do you attach PDF's to objects in the JSS?

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Nope. And now I'm approaching 5GB used out of the 6 that I've allotted to the JSS. I know I can restart mysql and tomcat and it will all reset, but this will kickstart again over night.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

hmm.. i've seen this when someone decided to upload a stupidly large PO in pdf form (~20MB).

I change the packate size to 30MB & it worked.

Other than that, i'm not sure what could cause this issue.

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

At this point I wonder if setting the packet size to 50MB would cause any issues.

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

This is one of the issues associated with 8.21. I set max_allowed_packet size to 50M but when I update to 8.22 I should be able to lower this value.

Thanks
Allen

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

My max_allow_packet value is set to 256megs, this is the amount of RAM MySQL can use to query a table in the database. If you have logs that get too large you cannot flush them because the packet size is too small to even read that table.

I also set my max connection pool to 400, and I set TomCat to use 16gigs of RAM

In my opinion in any large environment with thousands of clients you want to max out the RAM on your JSS server. That is until JAMF comes up with a way to cluster many severs and do mysql replication and have clients checking in to their nearest server and not having it all rely on one server box.

-Tom