Need 3rd party app?

EmBots12
New Contributor II

I am fairly new to Jamf, still learning a lot about how it works. 

I am trying to figure out how to use the Remote Desktop option in Jamf Pro on our M1 machines. Do you need a 3rd party app to do this, like ARD or TeamViewer? 

Apologies for the lameness of the question. 

Any information is greatly appreciated! 

4 REPLIES 4

AntMac
Contributor

Hi there and welcome  

Hopefully I can help you out with this. There are a couple of parts to your question. The abbreviated answer is yes you can use TeamViewer or Apple Remote Desktop. The caveat is that the setup for each differs a bit. Also there are different costs attached to each solution. eg ARD only needs purchase of the control client from the App store.  

Team Viewer

From 10.32 up TeamViewer integration has been added to JAMFPro. This would require setup of Configuration Profiles for client end, relevant ports to be open etc. The admin guide has a really comprehensive explanation of how to set all of this up: TeamViewer Integration - Jamf Pro Administrator's Guide | Jamf

Apple Remote Desktop 

Uses the Apple built in VNC support to allow remote control of client. To use this you would need to set Remote Login and Remote Management permissions for the accounts you want to have access. Be aware there can at times be a bit of a glitch if you set this during DEP. You may to make disable/enable remote either on the client or via MDM commands in JAMF after enrolment completed. We first noticed this in our environment with BigSur/Monterey. 

Hope this helps. 

EmBots12
New Contributor II

This definitely does help! 

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly, do you have to have a 3rd party app to use the "Enable Remote Desktop" feature? Or is that a feature that you can complete with only Jamf? 

From what I am reading seems like ARD Is the better option in regards to cost and ease of use, would you agree? 

Thank you again for responding, this really was great information!!!!!! 

Sorry in advance if I have misunderstood your follow up questions. Answers below: 

@EmBots12 wrote:

This definitely does help! 

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly, do you have to have a 3rd party app to use the "Enable Remote Desktop" feature? Or is that a feature that you can complete with only Jamf? 
TeamViewer does require additional configuration to enable permissions for use. These permissions can be set manually on the workstation or via either of the 2 methods mentioned in the JAMF Admin guide. If setting manually, the application would need to be installed on the client end first to see the appropriate options in System Preferences. Would suggest JAMF Pro deployment for App install and configuration would be a cleaner way to do it.  

ARD permissions can be set manually on the workstation or via policy/script and deployed from JAMF Pro. Remote Login and Remote Management are the permissions. No client end install required only need to install ARD on your management Mac. 
From what I am reading seems like ARD Is the better option in regards to cost and ease of use, would you agree? 

My personal preference is ARD for cost, ease of use and setup. Also Team Viewer is blocked in our corporate infrastructure setup so not an option. 

EmBots12
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for the information, really it was super helpful!!!!!!