need an idea, or a new feature request when a client name changes

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

So,

We were discussing a way of notifying us when a client computer name changes. We have several reasons this messes things up and even though we lock things down via MCX there is always something our users do to change their computer name.

I was looking at writing a script and putting it on the client machine locally. Then having launchd run a loop and compare computer names, if the name does not equal the original name it will install a dummy package and email a TIS employee. The problem with this method is, I am not sure how to 'cache' the original computer name in the script. Can I have the script pull the name from the Casper database?

Now, I was thinking, well I have this Casper Database of my inventory. So, is there a way to trigger a notice when the name changes in the Casper database? Then I started thinking this could be pretty useful in general. Could we flag other options for when certain things change in the database for us to get notification on them? My first thought is, a logic board replacement and the machine gets a new MAC address I kind of would like to be notified if it changes, then I could go in and delete the old MAC out of the database, or do whatever.

Thoughts?

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Don't stop at logic board changes, what about amount of RAM changes, or
number of disk drives in the system changes. I could see that as being
important information that you would want to get notified about, especially
in a school setting. I'm sure the hot little fingers would love to walk
away with some RAM, even though it is dirt cheap now.

Steve Wood
Director of IT
swood at integerdallas.com

The Integer Group | 1999 Bryan St. | Ste. 1700 | Dallas, TX 75201
T 214.758.6813 | F 214.758.6901 | C 940.312.2475

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Yes, and when the amount of RAM does change, it also clears out the firmware passwords.....

Great idea!

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

ernstcs
Contributor III

I'm hoping this is addresses with previous feature requests in Casper Suite 7.0, but I don't know if it is.

I've asked that computers names always remain what they are first entered into the JSS unless edited during an image process or in the web interface.

Have it rename machines back at each policy check and if it's a general management option during recon cycles as well so it wouldn't pick up a changed name there as well.

I don't know how to best deal with the logic board issue except with internal training and procedures really. I assume staff deal with your repairs and not students directly? Perhaps a simple trigger in the system is enough...

Craig E