Need help creating script for changing computer name before AD binding

JNGoecks
New Contributor

Hello! I'm trying to create a script that will allow me to change the computer name to "OX" followed by the serial number of the machine.

I know that I can user the system_profiler | grep "r (system)" to bring up the serial number, but how would I need to append "OX" before the serial number?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You would use either a variable for "OX", or simply create a new Computer Name variable with OX + the variable for the Serial #.

So here's a better way to grab the serial number (because system_profiler is a bit slow):

Serial=$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'["|"]' '/IOPlatformSerialNumber/{print $4}')

Putting "OX" together with the above should be pretty simple (create a "MacName" variable for example)-

MacName="OX$Serial"

If you wanted something between the two, like a dash, then just add that as well, like this-

MacName="OX-$Serial"

So now use that in your rename script. Something like (just an example)-

scutil --set ComputerName "$MacName"

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

If you use pre-stage imaging in the JSS you can setup OX- to be the prefix to the serial number as the computer name. Very easy to do and requires no scripting. If you need a script to do this and would prefer not to use in the pre-stage feature I can give you an example of what we have done when I have some available time later today.

*EDIT* Looks like mm2270 beat me to it. :)

lisacherie
Contributor II

You might also want to think about setting these too:

scutil --set LocalHostName
scutil --set HostName

spowell01
Contributor

This is what we use:

#!/bin/sh

#  Rename Computer.sh
#
#  Renames the computer to the $4, as entered by the script parameter
#  The computer will be unbound from Active Directory, renamed, then rebound.
#  Created by Barnes, Walter on 11/6/12.
#

# Set computername to the parameter entered by the script
computername=$4

# if there is no name set exit with an error
if [ "$computername" == "" ]; then
    echo "Error: No computername is specified. Please specify a Computer Name"
    exit 1
fi

# AD user information for removing the machine from Active Directory
username=""
password=""

# Unbind from Active Directory
echo "Unbinding the computer from Active Directory..."
/usr/sbin/dsconfigad -r -u "$username" -p "$password"

/usr/bin/killall DirectoryService

# Rename the computer
echo "Renaming computer to $4"

/usr/sbin/scutil --set ComputerName "$4"
/usr/sbin/scutil --set LocalHostName "$4"
/usr/sbin/scutil --set HostName "$4"

# Update Inventory in JSS
echo "Updating inventory..."
/usr/sbin/jamf recon

# Rebind to AD by triggering the AD Bind Policy
#echo "Rebinding the computer to Active Directory..."
jamf policy -trigger bind

exit 0

dmw3
Contributor III

Is there a way to grab the last 6 characters of the serial number and enter it into the naming script?

Wanting to use a script with only the last 6 characters as part of the computer name.

chop
New Contributor

Here you go:

Serial=$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'["|"]' '/IOPlatformSerialNumber/{print $4}') echo ${Serial:(-6)}

or even make it a variable to use in your naming:

last6=echo ${Serial:(-6)}

yellow
Contributor

Be aware... scutil can behave strangely and slowly from time to time for reasons unknown (to us). You may not always get what you expect WHEN you expect it.

mm2270

@dmw3][/url][/url][/url][/url - You could also do this to get the last 6 characters-

Serial=$(ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | awk -F'["|"]' '/IOPlatformSerialNumber/{print $4}' | cut -c 6-)

@lisacherie][/url][/url][/url][/url - good point! You definitely would want to set the other 2 names to the new one as well.

@yellow][/url][/url][/url][/url - if you get dodgy results with scutil, there are other options. For example, with systemsetup:

/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setcomputername "$MacName"

or with the jamf binary:

jamf setComputerName -name" $MacName"

In fact, you could actually accomplish the entire renaming directly with the jamf binary.

sudo jamf setComputerName -useSerialNumber -prefix "OX"

But that would give you the full Serial Number, not just the last 6 characters, or any other variation.

JNGoecks
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses guys! This definitely helped me out and gave me some ideas!

uurazzle
Contributor II

Note:

/usr/sbin/networksetup

&

/usr/sbin/systemsetup

will error if your computer name is > 31 characters.

For example...

/usr/sbin/networksetup -setcomputername "01234567890123456789012345678901"
01234567890123456789012345678901 is NOT a valid computer name.
** Error: The parameters were not valid.
/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setcomputername "01234567890123456789012345678901"
2016-08-16 16:42:31.348 systemsetup[3368:55826] ### authenticateUsingAuthorizationSync error:Error Domain=com.apple.systemadministration.authorization Code=-60007 "(null)"
setcomputername: 01234567890123456789012345678901

See blog post for example...
OS X Bonjour Naming Guidelines

boanes
New Contributor III

I do like this script... Is there a way to have it set so that there's a dialog box to 1) Enter the computer name (through policy) and 2) Request credentials to do the unbinding and rebinding?

Unfortunately, I havn't done much scripting...

boanes
New Contributor III

Anybody?

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

@boanes Others may have different answers, but I've always found that interacting with a. dialogue box was a limitation of JAMF. It had to get called by something else. Many would suggest cocoa dialog, but that's not been updated in a. long time, and for our environment, any tool/app we'd install as a helper would have to go through a certification process. I never found it worth it. When I've needed it, I've leveraged AppleScript to do most of that heavy lifting, and then just export that out as an app. I did have an AppleScript that I'd written LONG ago (like 6 years) but through a few computer changes, when I was first messing with Apple Script. It's VERY rudimentary, and is totally different than what I'd do today, but feel free to leverage it.

In this case, it was for a bunch of minis, which we designated with the prefix MKMM and the last string of their serial.

#Get user ID 
set getusername to the text returned of (display dialog "Enter your Admin user id here..." default answer "")
set userid to getusername

set userpass to the text returned of (display dialog "Enter your password.." default answer "" with hidden answer)

set adminpass to the text returned of (display dialog "Enter your local admin password.." default answer "" with hidden answer)

set theserial to (do shell script "system_profiler |grep 'r (system)' | awk '{print $4}'")

set count1 to count theserial

if count1 = 11 then set cutserial to (do shell script "system_profiler |grep 'r (system)' | awk '{print $4}' |cut -c 4-11")

if count1 = 12 then set cutserial to (do shell script "system_profiler |grep 'r (system)' | awk '{print $4}' |cut -c 5-12")

if count1 = 13 then set cutserial to (do shell script "system_profiler |grep 'r (system)' | awk '{print $4}' |cut -c 6-13")

if count1 = 14 then set cutserial to (do shell script "system_profiler |grep 'r (system)' | awk '{print $4}' |cut -c 7-14")

set computername to "MKMM" & cutserial

#display dialog computername

#display dialog cutserial

#do shell script "scutil --set ComputerName " & computername with administrator privileges
#do shell script "scutil --set LocalHostName " & computername with administrator privileges

do shell script "diskutil rename disk0s2 " & computername
tell application "Terminal"
    tell window 1
        activate
        tell application "System Events"
            set terminal to application process "Terminal"
            set frontmost of terminal to true

delay "3"
                keystroke "sudo -i"
                key code 36
                delay "1"
                keystroke adminpass
                key code 36
                delay "1"
                keystroke "scutil --set ComputerName " & computername
                key code 36
                delay "2"
                keystroke "scutil --set LocalHostName " & computername
                key code 36
                delay "2"
                keystroke userpass
                key code 36
                delay "75"
                tell application "Terminal"
                    quit

end tell
            end tell
        end tell
    end tell
end tell

wow... looking over this I'm almost too embarrassed to share... almost. good luck. if I have some time upcoming, maybe I'll clean this up.

mm2270

@boanes You're looking for a way to input a name manually and then name the computer to that?
If so, Applescript calls can be used there, but the trouble you run into often these days is the OS doesn't like popping up interactive user level dialogs from scripts run under a root context.
But so you know, something like the following would be used to ask for user input, would loop if no text is entered (so it forces something to be entered to dismiss the dialog)

This is a basic example with not much in the way of error checking, checking character length, etc, all of which you'd probably want to do to ensure the name entered won't cause problems when used for the computer name.

#!/bin/bash

function getResponse ()
{

response=$(/usr/bin/osascript << EOD
set response to text returned of (display dialog "Enter a computer name" default answer "" buttons {"Enter"} default button 1)
end tell
EOD)

if [[ "$response" == "" ]]; then
    getResponse
fi

}

getResponse

## Put computer naming commands here

Again though, YMMV regarding whether this will actually pop up a dialog when it's run from a Jamf Pro policy, or if it will register a failure due to not being allowed user interaction. I have posted elsewhere on here some examples of how to get Applescripts like this to run as the user (to get input) and then use the response in the remainder of the script. So there are ways to do it.

bbot
Contributor

We used this script to rename, unbind, then rebind to AD. (AD will not automatically update the records when you change the name)

#!/bin/sh

# HARDCODED VALUES ARE SET HERE
Pass=""

# CHECK TO SEE IF VALUES WERE PASSED FOR $4, AND IF SO, ASSIGN THEM
if [ "$4" != "" ] && [ "$Pass" == "" ]; then 
Pass=$4
fi

# Check to make sure Pass variable was passed down from Casper
if [ "$Pass" == "" ]; then 
echo "Error: The parameter 'Pass' is blank. Please specify a value." 
exit 1 
fi

# Set Variables
CompName=$(dsconfigad -show | awk '/Computer Account/{print $NF}' | sed 's/$$//')

# Get current OU of Computer Object
OU="OU=General Business Computers,OU=####,DC=#####,DC=#####,DC=####"

echo "$OU"

# get machine serial number
MAC_SERIAL_NUMBER=`ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformSerialNumber|awk '{print $4}' | cut -d " -f 2`
echo MAC_SERIAL_NUMBER $MAC_SERIAL_NUMBER

serial=$MAC_SERIAL_NUMBER

# set name to machine serial number
scutil --set ComputerName $serial
scutil --set HostName $serial
scutil --set LocalHostName $serial

sleep 2

## Begin rebinding process

#Basic variables
    computerid=`scutil --get LocalHostName`
    domain=c##
    udn=#

#Advanced variables
    alldomains="disable"
    localhome="enable"
    protocol="smb"
    mobile="enable"
    mobileconfirm="disable"
    user_shell="/bin/bash"
    admingroups="CorpHelpdesk Operator"
    namespace="domain"
    packetsign="allow"
    packetencrypt="allow"
    useuncpath="disable"
    passinterval="30"

# Bind to AD
    dsconfigad -add $domain -alldomains $alldomains -username $udn -password $Pass -computer $computerid -ou "$OU" -force -packetencrypt $packetencrypt
    sleep 1
    echo "Rebinding to AD and setting advanced options"

#set advanced options
    dsconfigad -localhome $localhome
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -groups "$admingroups"
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -mobile $mobile
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -mobileconfirm $mobileconfirm
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -alldomains $alldomains
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -useuncpath "$useuncpath"
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -protocol $protocol
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -shell $user_shell
    sleep 1
    dsconfigad -passinterval $passinterval
    sleep 1

#dsconfigad adds "All Domains"
    # Set the search paths to "custom"
    dscl /Search -create / SearchPolicy CSPSearchPath
    dscl /Search/Contacts -create / SearchPolicy CSPSearchPath

sleep 1

# Add the "corpXXXXXX" search paths
    dscl /Search -append / CSPSearchPath "/Active Directory/CORP/#####"
    dscl /Search/Contacts -append / CSPSearchPath "/Active Directory/CORP/#####"

sleep 1

# Restart opendirectoryd
    killall opendirectoryd
    sleep 5

exit 0