Need internal IP address of enrolled iPad, help with murder case, ASAP!

jgwatson
Contributor

One of my schools iPad was left in a car which was stolen and then the driver of the car murdered a teen. On the day of the crime the iPad was switched off, and I assumed wiped. Two days ago the iPad communicated with the JSS for an inventory check. The iPad reported it's external IP address. Unfortunately the address is associated with a large Verizon network. Is there anyway I can track down this iPad and help the police? They need the assigned internal ip address. Any command I can send it? Let me know ASAP.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

talkingmoose

My advice is to simply turn over that IP address to the police and let them handle it from there. You're not the investigator. They have the resources to pursue this.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Might want to hand the device to the police, as they have forensics experts and so they can get the relevant info (sim card info, etc.).

I'm not sure this is possible if the device was wiped:

On the day of the crime the iPad was switched off, and I assumed wiped. Two days ago the iPad communicated with the JSS for an inventory check.
--
https://donmontalvo.com

aturner
New Contributor III

Sorry to hear about the situation. I presume "Find my iPad/device" was not turned on, on the device?

I think as of now for the Casper Suite, all they have is a request for Inventory on the machines. However, you may be able to Contact JAMF support directly for getting a more specific inventory, if that is what you need. However, I am not sure that is possible given many limitation with coding and with Apple's Framework. It is definitely worth the phone call though.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

If the iPad checked into the JSS then I would think it was not wiped?

Anyway, you should give the IP to the police. They can deal with Verizon and track the IP. "Find My iPad" would be very useful in this instance, though...

jgwatson
Contributor

I wasn't acting as Sherlock Holmes.....these questions are from the police. The criminals have the iPad, not me, and the police have full access to my JAMF server. The police gave me the questions and I thought I would ask you guys.

fda-ctp-tims
New Contributor

Based on your server network setting There is a configuration change in Tomcat which will make JSS inventory report the real client IP address. JAMF can help that.