Netboot Image 10.9.3

sburrows
New Contributor III

I'm having trouble with my 10.9.3 Netboot image with Casper Imaging. I built my Netboot image based on the following articles:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=307
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=313

When I run my imaging workflow everything is skipped and it hangs on "Ensuring system files are hidden" forever. I have to force shutdown. It doesn't matter what my workflow contains, 2 packages or 25 it does the same thing with this Netboot image.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Burrows

Is your primary distribution point an AFP/SMB file share, or is it a JDS?

If it's a JDS, this is defect behavior related to D-007061. In some cases, expanding the NetBoot image size to 15, 20, or 25GB using sudo hdiutil resize -size 15g /path/to/image/file (in that example, it's 15GB) works, and allows us to continue using the JDS as the Master Distribution point.
If it doesn't work, our only other option is to use an AFP/SMB file share as the Master Distribution point for NetBoot imaging.

If we're using a traditional AFP/SMB file share, and the file share is working otherwise and is accessible, most commonly this behavior happens if the NetBoot image isn't booting disklessly, even if it's set to do so. To rule that out and to be absolutely sure it's booting disklessly, we typically run through the steps in this article from the University of Utah and, if that was the issue, it takes care of the problem.

The article's title states "10.6.8", but the steps work for 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9, so no worries there.

If neither of those things helps out with the issue, I'd recommend opening up a case with your Technical Account Manager so they can dig into things a bit further with you.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Burrows

Is your primary distribution point an AFP/SMB file share, or is it a JDS?

If it's a JDS, this is defect behavior related to D-007061. In some cases, expanding the NetBoot image size to 15, 20, or 25GB using sudo hdiutil resize -size 15g /path/to/image/file (in that example, it's 15GB) works, and allows us to continue using the JDS as the Master Distribution point.
If it doesn't work, our only other option is to use an AFP/SMB file share as the Master Distribution point for NetBoot imaging.

If we're using a traditional AFP/SMB file share, and the file share is working otherwise and is accessible, most commonly this behavior happens if the NetBoot image isn't booting disklessly, even if it's set to do so. To rule that out and to be absolutely sure it's booting disklessly, we typically run through the steps in this article from the University of Utah and, if that was the issue, it takes care of the problem.

The article's title states "10.6.8", but the steps work for 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9, so no worries there.

If neither of those things helps out with the issue, I'd recommend opening up a case with your Technical Account Manager so they can dig into things a bit further with you.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

sburrows
New Contributor III

We are not running a JDS just a SMB file share. The article you provided seems to have worked.

Thanks!

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Burrows

Happy to hear that!

If you run into anything else or have other questions, please feel free to either post on JAMF Nation, give us a call, send an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will go directly to your TAM's queue that way so, if your TAM is out, others in support who are watching their queue will see the case waiting), or use the My Support section of JAMF Nation to submit a case.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support