Netboot image doesn't boot diskless from NetSUS/Netboot server 3.0.2, but boots fine from Mac Mini

jbarnes
New Contributor

We're trying to move all our Casper stuff off a Mac Mini and into VMware. Part of this is the creation of a NetSUS/Netboot server. I've got this going, but for whatever reason when I boot into the Netboot environment and load up Casper Imaging, it's clear that the netboot image is not diskless. You can tell because the top line is:

Installation - /private/var/netboot - disk0s2

You can't erase the disk with Disk Utility either, presumably because you're using it. I've checked the .NBI plist file, and it's set to diskless, so I'm not sure what else I should be looking at. Also confusing is that it boots just fine from the Mac Mini.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

Carlos
New Contributor

Your going to have follow the directions here:

Diskless Netboot

I had the same issue setting up my NetSUS/Netboot. This did the trick for me.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

<shameless plug>

You can use AutoCasperNBI to create an NBI with an amended rc.netboot.

</shameless plug>

bmarks
Contributor II

Yes, use AutoCasperNBI. I second, third, fourth and fifth this recommendation. It's a simple checkbox to make this work for you.

bmarks
Contributor II

Specifically, the "Install modified rc.netboot file" option needs to be selected.

jbarnes
New Contributor

Carlos: I will try that!
Bentoms: I used your thing to make the original NBI in fact. Looks like I will be making another one because that will probably be faster than figuring how to make the current one read-write, even though doing the latter is much more tempting.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@jbarnes yea, sorry about AutoCasperNBI being quicker (not sorry).. Hope it works! keep us posted.

Carlos
New Contributor

@jbarnes The method I posted and @bentoms posted are going to give you the same end result, so you should be good with either way you go. I found it easier to modify an already created .nbi then creating a new one when I was setting up my Netboot which is the only reason I did it that way.