Netinstall Creator 4 issue

MarkPetersonURM
New Contributor III

So, I managed to build a netinstall set, and got it to boot, but after entering my JSS username/password, I get the following error:

"Casper Imaging could not locate any drives for imaging."

This machine does have a working 10.9.3 install, currently running JSS 9.3, Imaging app 9.3 as well.

I've tried this on a physical mini (the one with the error above) as well as on a virtual machine.

13 REPLIES 13

gskibum
Contributor III

Do you have a destination volume mounted with the same name that was used when the source DMG was created?

I've been struggling with getting imaging via NetBoot to work for several days now. Stepped away from it for a few days and just now decided to give it another go. But I do seem to remember from my last go-around getting that error, and it went away when I would rename the destination volume to match the one in the DMG.

MarkPetersonURM
New Contributor III

@gskibum, I'll give that try!

gskibum
Contributor III

Today I spoke to JAMF tech support about NetBoot & Imaging issues I am having and asked about this. They confirmed that the drive names do have to match. So I bet if everything in your workflow is called "Macintosh HD" your error will go away.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I finally got around to testing Casper NetInstall Creator 4, and ran into the same issue.

I'm guessing the folks who are working on this tool will want us to report issues there:

"Casper Imaging could not locate any drives for imaging"
https://github.com/jamf/CasperNetInstallCreator/issues/1

Thanks,
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Another thing I got hung up in early days of Casper Imaging was the auto run data for specific machines. Specifically, that Casper Imaging had saved specific workflows and drive names to a machine's inventory autorun record, then error'd out later on when said drive/workflow/variable was changed. Clearing the autorun data for the machine record in question resolved the issue.

MarkPetersonURM
New Contributor III

Thanks @donmontalvo! I bet you are right.

@clifhirtle, there is no autorun data that I could find.

@gskibum, I'm going to be testing this today, as I got tied up on other issues.

Araneta
New Contributor III

So I tested this out today and I'm using Casper Imaging 9.31. My netboot image boots fine and I can login to Casper Imaging but it can't mount any of my distribution point.
I tested Casper Imaging on a Target disk mode and works fine, so there's no problem with my distribution points.
Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Araneta
New Contributor III

I re-created my Netboot image manually from scratch(enable root, start casper image on login, etc...) and it is working fine and mounting all my different shares(smb shares hosted on Win2012).Just wondering if the NetInstall Creator developers are aware of this bug?

Araneta
New Contributor III

And then I found this: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=74
Which talks about the issue

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Has anyone had success suing version 5 on 10.10 units? I've had a few early failures but very little time to dig into them. So, just wondering!

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

FYI, Just spoke with a tech from JAMF. It seems that this took only works up to 10.10.3.

nick
Contributor
Contributor

As referenced here, this should now be fixed with version 6.0 of the Casper NetInstall Image Creator.