netinstall image size

Not applicable

Hi,

Can I modify the netinstall image create by casper netrestore to be smaller? Mine is 10 Gb, and I guess I do not need the extra Applications on it, maybe only Casper Imaging

I did this from a clean install of an iMac

thanks in advance

cheers

Carmelo Lopez Portilla
ITS EMBL Heidelberg

lopez at embl.de
+49 6221 3878444

4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

Hi Chris

I want to use NetInstall Creator to create a Netinstall image, sorry I got you confused

This image is the one used to enable Netinstall service, but not the one used for reinstalling the machines

So this one is 10 Gb and used only to launch netinstall as you are aware of

So can I delete some apps from it?
thanks again

cheers
CArmelo

Bukira
Contributor

Netinstall or netboot?

If Netboot then it doesnt really matter, except for disk storage on the server and a few Gig is nothing,

For netbooting the size of the image has 0 impact on netbooting, it uses no more network bandwidth or client space than a smaller image, so you will see no improvement what so ever by reducing the image size (except that it takes a few gigs less of space on the server)

I have been using netbooting since it first came out around 10yrs ago and the way netbooting works means that the image size is not important, you can netboot a client with 100GB image exactly the same as a client from a 5GB image, and they both perform identically

Criss

Criss Myers
Senior IT Analyst (Mac Services)
iPhone / iPad Developer
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Development
Software Management Team
Adelphi Building AB28
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5050
01772 895050

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Yes you can. I always take out iLife, and every other app on there except for disk utility, a text editor, terminal, and the console. Everything else gets deleted off my netboot image/installer.

Not applicable

Thanks
Will do So
Cheers

Carmelo Lopez Portilla

ITS EMBL Heidelberg
Tel. +49 (0) 6221 387 8444
Fax +49 (0) 6221 387 8517
email: lopez at embl.de