new NBI doesn't mount CasperShare

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Long story short,

I have 10.6 only machines now, so I have a 10.6 image and 10.6 nbi file. So I created a new image new nbi and when I netboot it no longer mounts the casper share, so nothing actually gets copied. If I quit to terminal and do a ls -al /Volumes I don't get a listing for the CasperShare. Nothing changed in the JSS as far as netboot or distribution servers go.

Ideas? Do I need to create a new nbi?

Thanks,

Tom

7 REPLIES 7

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

OK, been really crazy here for a Friday and I replied to the wrong email earlier, my bad....

I think the problem is these are brand new machines and they do not know which distribution point to mount, therefore there is no mount. So, I guess I need to set some prestaging as there are 500 of these Macbooks split up amongst several buildings. Would scanning the serial numbers off the box and putting them into some sort of prestage thing probably work best?

Is there a way to have it mount network share after it netboots?

Thanks,

Tom

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Can you manually mount the CasperShare?
--
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

It says realpath does not exist, exit code 2

However, before I updated the nbi file it worked fine.....

I used mount_afp in interactive mode

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

OK

So this has been 1 crazy turn of events. I updated the NBI had some issues, fixed them, then updated the casper imaging app to test out the new image. Worked great on all my new macbooks, but it kernel panics every older macbook. The mount issue is fixed, I think I just had a weird NBI file so when I recreated it and it worked no problemo.

So, all new uni-body Macbooks image fine, and they never kernel panic. All older macbooks netboot and image fine but kernel panic every single time saying they are missing a driver. It kernel panics saying unsupported driver for this platform ACPI, which I assume is some sort of power management controller on the laptops.

So, then I recompile the image on a laptop, using the newest hardware - no dice still kernel panics

Imaged a machine over FW via disk utility - still kernel panics

Replaced nbi with older one, newer one, 10.5.8 one, 10.6.4 one, with casper imaging 7.2 and 7.3 - all combinations still kernel panic at first boot.

The macbooks will netboot and block copy the image just fine, however, upon first boot they kernel panic every single time. As a last ditch effort I am going to recompile the 10.5.8 on a 10.5.8 machine as I have been compiling all of them on a 10.6 machine. I guess I just now realized by process of elimination that I have been compiling all my images on 10.6 machines.

So, any insights to this debacle of mine? I hope that this last compile freaking works, otherwise I may just bump everything to 10.6 since it seems to be working.

Thanks,

Tom

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Did you try doing an instaDMG image? Then it wouldn't matter what
hardware you built off of (other than time to compile the image), as it
would always load the correct drivers.

John Wojda

Lead System Engineer, CTS

3333 Beverly Rd. B2-338B

Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Phone: (847)286-7855

SMS / Text Page: 2245873298
<mailto:12245873298 at messaging.sprintpcs.com>

Team Lead: Chris Sta Ana
<mailto:cstaana at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.>

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Everything is built from isntaDMG, I subscribe to their newsletter. When you compile it in Casper admin, it installs it on a virtual disk,
and the installer selects the driver. I am almost certain this is a
software bug but not sure on what end. I have an open enterprise ticket
with Apple as well.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I've done several of our NBI's with InstaDMG, the latest being for the
"new" mac mini's a couple weeks ago... haven't had a single KP across
any intel platform.

I'm running the full 10.6.4 and the 10.6.4 mini update in the same
image, since I saw the mini version was considerably smaller than the
full blown.

John Wojda