No reboot

Not applicable

I have run a config to reimage a machine and the computer never reboots so the scripts set to run at reboot, do not launch. I have checked the logs and everything appears to work. How long do I need to wait usually for a restart? The application appears to quit, but the computer stays at a desktop with a gray background and doesn't reboot.

Karl H. Hehr
Technology/Curriculum Director
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees
1) Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2) Anything that's invented between when you're 15 and 35 is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3) Anything invented after you're 35 is again the natural order of things --- Douglas Adams

12 REPLIES 12

ernstcs
Contributor III

I'm starting to run into a lot of issues with systems not rebooting when they should. Lots of spinning tick marks that never end, etc...

Not sure what is causing it.

Craig E

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We're seeing some of these too. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this yet, but it's there... Anybody contact support yet?

--
John Wetter
Technology Support Administrator
Educational Technology, Media & Information Services
Hopkins Public Schools
952-988-5373

Not applicable

/Volumes/<destination drive>/System/Library/StartupItems/FirstRun/ FirstRun

Ok so this is where the first run script is supposed to be written, if the script is not written, what could be the issue?

Karl H. Hehr
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees
1) Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2) Anything that's invented between when you're 15 and 35 is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3) Anything invented after you're 35 is again the natural order of things --- Douglas Adams

ernstcs
Contributor III

This is only not written if there is nothing to be done at Reboot. If you don't have any scripts set for At Reboot, AD (or other bindings, or native CS3/CS4 deployments. Other options can make it happen if you have it recon after imaging.

When you are in the Casper Imaging screen in the left hand plan window do you actually see Prepare FirstRun Script section listed at the end?

What version of the Casper Suite are you using?

Craig E

Not applicable

I am using the newest version, 7.0.1. And the :Prepare First Run Script" DOes show up in the left side panel. THe OD binding, deleting of the admin users, enabling ARD are all set to run at reboot.

Karl H. Hehr
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees

ernstcs
Contributor III

Dumb question I know, you are trying to look at the FirstRun script BEFORE the system reboots to your Destination Drive, correct? The FirstRun script deletes itself when it's done doing it's thing so if you are trying to look at it after the imaging reboot you won't see it.

If that's not the case, you have items under Prepare FirstRun Script, are not rebooting, and still don't see a FirstRun folder in that directory...I'm not certain...

Craig E

Not applicable

Yes, checking before the computer reboots, because after the install the computer does not reboot on its own, so I can go look. I have it set in the imaging app to reboot but no luck.

Karl H. Hehr
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees

ernstcs
Contributor III

What is it doing after imaging runs? Are you getting the spinning tick marks forever?

That's kind of not normal of course, what you're seeing.

Craig E

Not applicable

I've seen this same issue randomly on machines where Casper Imaging will close but the machine won't reboot. I haven't had the endless gear, but it just launches Finder (Like Casper Imaging is supposed to do when it exits) and the Terminal pops up (like the netboot images are supposed to do when the main app quits).

It seems like the reboot command isn't being passed reliably when Casper Imaging quits.

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer

Not applicable

After talking with tech support, I am trying a NetBoot Image instead of a net install image to run in the imaging process. THe configs are rather long, and this may help. Will report back.

Karl H. Hehr
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees

Not applicable

It appears that the issue is a long(er) configuration, not sure if it is size or number of steps related. BNy changing to a NetBoot image from a NetInstall image there appears to be no more issues. When I get the time I will compress my longer config into one big image and see if I still have issues with the deployment with a netinstall image. For now I have a work around.

Karl H. Hehr
South Hamilton CSD
www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us
515.827.5418 (W)
515.209.9767 (C)
515.827.5368 (F)

Luddite by Degrees

Bukira
Contributor

Hi

Sorry for not replying earlier but when you guys are at work its night time for me.

I have the same problem as you, it seems to be totally random, on the same 2 macs, out of 20 image cycles it may occur 2-3 times, I cant see it is based on number of packages or size or even the netinstall image as the same machines image perfectly the rest of the time with the same settings.

It seems to crash Casper imaging during the writing the jamf binary to /usr...... etc so never gets to the point of creating the first run script or the reboot and blessing stages

One way might be to use Compiled configurations which i cam currently trying.

However one way i have found to fix this is to boot from a mac os x install dvd and reformat the drive, the next time it images correctly. I find that once a mac fails to reboot after imaging it keeps repeating this on subsequent imaging as if something is wrong with the mac itself. I also find now that after it quits casper imaging, the next time i try to run casper imaging it says it cannot find the "Macintosh HD" which simply is incorrect, i load disk utility from the launchpad and it verifies the drive, i even reformat the drive and still it fails to find it. The only fix is to reformat the drive for an os x install dvd.

I have forwarded my findings to jamf

Criss

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054