No Self Service Items are Available?

musat
Contributor III

Hello,
All of the sudden we are seeing a lot of our Macs getting the error message of: No Self Service Items are available
No Authorization

I saw a prior post that mentioned checking the selfservice cache location, along with Safari cookie settings. I checked and cleared those areas on my Mac, but am still getting that error. We are still running JSS v9.6, but this just started up today. Our Self Service is configured to allow authentication, but not require it.

I've tried rebooting our JSS, but still am getting that error message.

Any thoughts on this?

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

musat
Contributor III

I know this is old, but we just had another with this message, so I figured I would post what the issue actually was. I didn't know this, but it turns out that if cookies are blocked in Safari (maybe the default browser) this error message displays.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

What happens if you re-enroll one of those Macs? When we've had that, it usually means the communication is broken between the client and the JSS. There are a few ways to fix that - re-enrolling is one of them.

majedian21
New Contributor III

I know this is weird, but make sure your client devices clocks are correct. We've had issues with Self Service and general communication with the JSS when the time was wrong on our clients.

musat
Contributor III

I know this is old, but we just had another with this message, so I figured I would post what the issue actually was. I didn't know this, but it turns out that if cookies are blocked in Safari (maybe the default browser) this error message displays.

eddiel0w
New Contributor III

@musat Thanks! This was helpful.

spowell01
Contributor

Figured i would chime in with our situation and solution as well. We are using apples DEP with our macs, and if a machine is getting the device enrollment prompt, and they do NOT accept the prompt then specific policies will be missing and self service will flat out say no items are available.

I just had an example machine brought it to me today and as soon as i logged in I had the DEP enrollment prompt, accepted the prompt, watched policies start coming down and voila self service was working.

tomt
Valued Contributor

All of a sudden out of nowhere my clients here are getting the same error. Nothing has changed on the JSS or clients that I know of.

JSS 9.72
Mac Mini Server 10.8.5

I've tried running jamf manage and also re-enrolling a machine with no change.

17097741aa584af7a4bbadee4a4347a8

tomt
Valued Contributor

Follow up: All policies are working normally when triggered by check-in and machines are able to update their inventory if I send a "jamf recon" via ARD.

tomt
Valued Contributor

Found a solution with the help of Jesse from support. It seems that the LDAP server I had defined in my JSS was not responding. My Self Service is set to allow (but not require) login so it must check for an LDAP response before loading anything. Once I switched to an alternate LDAP server everything immediately went back to normal.

sgoetz
Contributor

You can also see that if the client is assigned to a site that has no polices assigned to that site. for example if Device is assigned to site a but all the policies are assigned to site b. Devices in site A will get that message "No Self Service Items"

jgrover
New Contributor

I know this is an old thread too, but I thought it would be helpful to tell everyone what solve this for me...

It seems that I have the LDAP set up in the JSS using my personal credentials which have a password expiring. I know the jss recommends server credentials but that is not what I did (my bad). So the day my password expired is the day Self-Service stopped working... Only wasted about 2-3 hours trying to figure this one out..

I guess I'll try to get a service account to authenticate to LDAP from the JSS. (Then again, I work for the government and I might have better luck winning the lottery than getting a non-expiring service credentials)

sbrosnihan
New Contributor III

Upon upgrading Self Service to 9.92, we encounter this error. Self Service 9.81 does not exhibit this behavior. We require LDAP authentication to view Self Service items. Enabling "Always Allow" in the Cookies and website data section of the privacy tab of my default browser (in this case Safari) restored Self Service items under 9.92. I find this behavior unacceptable as:

1. This is not a default setting in Safari.

2. Users may change this setting at any time in our environment.

3. This setting is less secure, opening browser data to greater risk of attack.

I'm opening a support case and possibly a bug report regarding this issue and will update this thread when I hear back from JAMF.

Update: when re-enabling the default setting (allow cookies from sites I visit) Safari wants to delete current cookies. After deleting cookies, Self Service displays my items. It's possible that clearing all cookies and caches will restore Self Service items without having to change the privacy setting. I still view this as a bug.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

This problem still exists. lol