Non Admin users removing SSIDs

mrperrott
New Contributor

Hello,

Just got a question about some users that travel frequently. They would like the ability to remove SSIDs because when they return to a site the WIFI password has changed and since they do not have admin rights, they cannot remove the SSIDs to re-add them with the new credentials.

I've done some research but I have not seen anything with a resolution for this issue.

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@mrperrott ,

I use the following commands below to (1) remove all SSID's from the preferred network list in system preferences and (2) then add any networks I like the user to have back. I would add this in Self Service because it does need admin rights to run.

Note the following: - Removes all preffered networks (the user will need to reconnect to their home network overtime after running this). - Then adds a specific network back. Make sure you define SSID, ENCRYPTION, PASSWORD of the network you are adding (quotes are not needed). - Needs administrator rights.

networksetup -removeallpreferredwirelessnetworks en0
networksetup -addpreferredwirelessnetworkatindex en0 SSID 0 ENCRYPTION PASSWORD

Hope this solves your issue,
Jared

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mrperrott
New Contributor

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@mrperrott ,

I use the following commands below to (1) remove all SSID's from the preferred network list in system preferences and (2) then add any networks I like the user to have back. I would add this in Self Service because it does need admin rights to run.

Note the following: - Removes all preffered networks (the user will need to reconnect to their home network overtime after running this). - Then adds a specific network back. Make sure you define SSID, ENCRYPTION, PASSWORD of the network you are adding (quotes are not needed). - Needs administrator rights.

networksetup -removeallpreferredwirelessnetworks en0
networksetup -addpreferredwirelessnetworkatindex en0 SSID 0 ENCRYPTION PASSWORD

Hope this solves your issue,
Jared

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

If this is a known SSID, then I do something similar, that might target what you're looking for. I run a EA that checks against

#!/bin/sh
wifi=`networksetup -listpreferredwirelessnetworks en0 | grep 'WIRELESS NETWORK NAME' || echo "No"`
echo "<result>$wifi</result>"

and if it's found during a recon, gets added to a smart group tied to an ongoing policy that executes

#!/bin/sh
networksetup -removepreferredwirelessnetwork en0 'WIRELESS NETWORK NAME'
exit 0

But again, assumes you know the SSID. If you don't know the SSID, then yeah, dumping all of them would be the brute force way to do it.