Notify Users via email using Jamf

niccha07
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can setup a process in Jamf to notify users via email when their devices have not checked in after X amount of days. I know I can manually do this via the MDM Action commands on a Smart Group of devices but hoping there is a way to automate it so once a device hits the Smart Group (Not checked in for 30 days) it will send them an email.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Nick

5 REPLIES 5

nelsoni
Contributor III

I could see utilizing a webhook to start a process that will email users as the smart group membership changes.

talkingmoose

Webhooks are the direction I'm leaning as well. A smart group change can trigger a webhook, which must then go to an external system to process. That will mean some scripting as well.

As for that "external system", the Jamf Automation and Webhook Assistant ("JAWA") would be helpful. It can listen for events coming from Jamf Pro and then run a script to do whatever you need. That script could take the serial number of the device JAWA receives as part of the webhook, reach back to Jamf Pro using its API to read user information associated to the device, and then send an email using command line email tools.

Not a solution for the faint of heart, but it's the best one I see.

nelsoni
Contributor III

Another option is Power automate if you have access to it. you can have jamf send the webhook to a power automate flow and that will allow you to pull the necessary data to email the user. you may have to import the API library into power automate as a custom connector. Also not for the faint of heart.

niccha07
New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I will explore these options in our environment. 

Captainamerica
Contributor II

I actually looking for the exact same thing, as I often see mac´s that has been offline for long time, and question is always are they not in use more or ?. So if an auto email could be send out to users assigned to devices that has not been online for 3 month and that the device will be removed from jamf within 1 week

So interested to know if there has been found a solution?