Office 14.4.5 Update - Quits Chrome?

rhs615
New Contributor III

Has anyone else seen the new Office 14.4.5 update quit out of Google Chrome without warning? I just added the Microsoft distributed package directly to Casper Admin and created a policy to push out on the recurring trigger. As soon as it begins, without warning, it quits out of Google Chrome and Microsoft Office Apps. Office makes sense, but Chrome? Is there some sort of integration between the two applications now that I am unaware of?

Thank you in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The Office updates have for years auto quit Safari when they are installed at the command line level, or prompts the user to close it if manually run. Its possible now they are including Chrome in the list of apps to shut down. The Office updates install or update web browser plug-ins, so that's why it "thinks" they should be quit. (even though its not technically required)

There are several ways to avoid having any apps quit when the installation runs though.

View solution in original post

mm2270

Follow Rich's instructions here.
http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/creating-an-updated-office-2011-sp-2-installer/
Pay attention to the noquit.xml process as that's what you're looking for.

This is the best and most reliable way to do it. Some others do something like decompiling and recompiling the installer pkg and removing the embedded script, but that's tricky and bound to get you into trouble in the long run.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270

The Office updates have for years auto quit Safari when they are installed at the command line level, or prompts the user to close it if manually run. Its possible now they are including Chrome in the list of apps to shut down. The Office updates install or update web browser plug-ins, so that's why it "thinks" they should be quit. (even though its not technically required)

There are several ways to avoid having any apps quit when the installation runs though.

rhs615
New Contributor III

Hmm.... not a Safari user so I haven't noticed this before. Any advice on how to avoid having any apps quit would be great.

Thank you!

mm2270

Follow Rich's instructions here.
http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/creating-an-updated-office-2011-sp-2-installer/
Pay attention to the noquit.xml process as that's what you're looking for.

This is the best and most reliable way to do it. Some others do something like decompiling and recompiling the installer pkg and removing the embedded script, but that's tricky and bound to get you into trouble in the long run.

RWitt
New Contributor II

Why not just remove the option of ongoing and network state change as a trigger. This way the only triggers I use on Office installers is the restart, login, and logout. They have been doing this for quite awhile, but i just noticed it when packaging 14.4.5. It is easier than modifying the installer.

tuinte
Contributor III

@Witt

Because then the update would never get installed! If your users reboot their machine more than twice a year, tell me by what miracle you achieved this.

rhs615
New Contributor III

Haha @tuinte - seriously. Outside of updates that force restart and lab machines, those things stay logged in for months!