OFFICE 2016 excluding outlook

5Y54DMIN
Contributor

Using Capser how can i install office 2016 during the imaging process to install office but leave out Outlook?

8 REPLIES 8

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

I would't omit it, but rather use the Restricted Software feature to prevent usage.

We used Lotus Notes years ago and did what you're thinking about. Then when we ditched Notes in favor of Exchange it was a major PIA to go back and deploy just Outlook to a thousand machines.

But if you really need to, you could just run a postscript to remove Outlook after the install.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@pgh The proper way of doing this would be through installer choices. Here's a link to a post I wrote that references another post as well (read that referenced link first). Do a little testing but it should work (note: I haven't tried this since august or september and I know there have been many releases since then, but the concept should still apply).
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=16761#responseChild99412

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Just delete the app after you install it. Super easy.

Look
Valued Contributor III

The updates for Office 2016 are all individual complete installers and can be run seperately to install individual packages. They should allow you to easily deploy a partial selection of Office 2016 apps.
The updater recognises those that have been opened and only updates them accordingly so it should pull down Outlook oranything at a later date.

chad_fox
Contributor II

Use composer to get rid of it.

Run composer and before you create a .pkg or .dmg delete Outlook.app from the source.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor
Posted: Today at 2:12 PM by Look The updates for Office 2016 are all individual complete installers and can be run seperately to install individual packages. They should allow you to easily deploy a partial selection of Office 2016 apps. The updater recognises those that have been opened and only updates them accordingly so it should pull down Outlook oranything at a later date.

Thats not entirely correct.

Update packages for Office 2016 are not complete installers, and should not be used to install any Office applications. - There are items missing from the updater packages that are included in the standalone packages. Specifically around VL licensing.

Instead you should use the standalone installer packages available from here: http://macadmins.software
This site is maintained by the MS release engineer of Office 2016 for Mac

Using an installer choices xml and a scripted install would be the best way to go.
Or
Removing it after install with a script is also a quick easy way to do it.

endor-moon
Contributor II

Thanks @calumhunter , that is great information. I extracted and packaged up our volume license and was using the updaters to install just the apps I was interested in. If items are missing (other than the MAU thing) these special builds are a great resource. Is the macadmins.software page maintained by Microsoft?

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

We remove it after install

#!/bin/sh
#remove outlook
rm -rf /Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/

as for macadmins.software you are correct that it is maintained by microsoft (or people who work for microsoft)