Office 2016 Volume license won't serialize

dnelson2813
Contributor

I've been using the same Office 2016 installer for about a year on 10.13 and 10.14 installations. I just did a clean install on 10.15, ran the Office installer and the volume license serializer and office won't serialize. I have the "activate" option when I launch any program. I checked /Library/Preferences and the plist file that the serializer is supposed to put there will not show up at all. I've tried running the serializer through JAMF and manually ran it on the computer and the file is no where to be found. Is this some sort of permissions issue in 10.15? It's driving me nuts.

8 REPLIES 8

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Same.

dnelson2813
Contributor

I'm convinced it's part of Catalina's new permissions stuff so I dragged the pkg to the Full Disk Access list but that's not fixing it either.

r___
New Contributor III

What versions of O2016? They forked around 16.16 and the old VL wont work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac

dnelson2813
Contributor

pbowden
Contributor III

@dnelson2813 I wonder if you have an old 32-bit version of the VL Serializer there (which of course won't run on Catalina). I posted a 64-bit version to the VLSC in the summer of last year, so you may need to go download the newer version.

dnelson2813
Contributor

@pbowden I think you must be right. Catalina isn't giving me any sort of warnings, but I downloaded this serializer a while ago so it probably is 32 bit. I don't have our VLSC login info so I'll have to try this when I can get into the site. Thanks for the help.

pbowden
Contributor III

@dnelson2813 no problems. If you need help today, send me an email (pbowden@microsoft.com) and I can get you the VL Serializer download to confirm that this is indeed the issue.

dnelson2813
Contributor

It turns out I did have the 32 bit installer. Thanks for the help @pbowden