Old Binary and Not Checking In

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Post version 9 upgrade, we have almost 70 out of 1200 computers that didn't get the updated 9.24 binary, still running at 8.73. Compounded, it looks like they are't checking in. Any other option other than manually touching these and re-running the quick-add?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If ssh is enabled on these Macs, you may be able to remote into them and determine why they aren't checking in. Might be that a process is hun up, or the LaunchDaemon is somehow disabled.
Of course, since they haven't been checking in, it may be tricky getting an accurate IP for them. In those case, you can ry using nslookup. The Network Utility.app has a GUI interface for this, but you can also use Terminal and just type nslookup hostname to see if your DNS servers have any IP info on them.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If ssh is enabled on these Macs, you may be able to remote into them and determine why they aren't checking in. Might be that a process is hun up, or the LaunchDaemon is somehow disabled.
Of course, since they haven't been checking in, it may be tricky getting an accurate IP for them. In those case, you can ry using nslookup. The Network Utility.app has a GUI interface for this, but you can also use Terminal and just type nslookup hostname to see if your DNS servers have any IP info on them.

TomDay

Thx, I'll work on these this week. An obstacle though is the students just went on Spring Break so it might have to wait until they return.

nanfay
New Contributor III

We had a similar problem and found that the machines that were not checking in were ones that had a hardware repair involving the logic board at some point since they were first added to the JSS inventory. Casper 9 switched from MAC address to UDID as the primary system identifier, and if the logic board is replaced the UDID is different. You can either re-add the machines (which will create a duplicate entry in inventory), or you can find out the UDID and edit it in Casper inventory. For 70 machines I would think that running the QuickAdd again will be easier than editing that many records on the JSS.

TomDay

Just to wrap this up, I wound up using SSH to gain access to each machine and running sudo jamf enroll -prompt. there were a few that weren't connecting to DNS for some reason and I had to go into DHCP to get there current IP, then SSH in and run sudo jamf enroll -prompt.

Thx for the input