On Prem PreStage Packages

nstrauss
Contributor II

Reposting this on public forums since it didn't get a lot of traction in the beta group.

There was a long, in depth discussion on beta forums when prestage packages were first announced back in 10.10. Since then there's been no communication on a timeline for prestage packages with non-cloud DPs.

There were two challenges brought up which make this technically difficult...

• Package signing. Requires a developer account, but not overly difficult for intermediate-advanced users. Public SSL/TLS certificate. This should be a general recommendation for all MDM servers anyway now that DEP is the required enrollment route.
  • Neither are real roadblocks to implementation in my eyes. Maybe these are things only more advanced users feel comfortable with, but I don't see them as more cumbersome or difficult than other steps on prem requires. So what's going on?

I'd like to start a new dialog to learn what Jamf devs see as implementation issues and why they're hesitant to add non-cloud DP prestage packages. My workflow is so close to where I want it to be, but still kludgy and awkward right after enrollment due entirely to this feature.

Is this coming? Only a matter of prioritizing dev work? Never happening because Jamf feels it puts an undue burden on admins?

What are your thoughts?

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/8198/allow-us-to-deploy-a-custom-package-via-dep-enrollment-without-a-cloud-distribution-point

2 REPLIES 2

barnesaw
Contributor III

That's the cloud upsell. Sure, you can do your own cloud DP, but why not just pay them to host is all for you?

andysemak
Contributor

Please!