Opening .cwk

gskibum
Contributor III

I've got a little granny client on 10.5.8 Leopard that needs to update beyond the 10.5.8 she's on. However this will make it so her AppleWorks won't run, and she has many .cwk files. Sorry to hit you with such a blast from the past! ;-)

Is anyone aware of an app that will run on 10.8 or newer? Pages, Word, Text Edit and Text Wrangler won't open .cwk files.

This is a mid-2007 iMac so I can put whatever OS on it.

4 REPLIES 4

Emmert
Valued Contributor

As ghastly as this sounds, I have a copy of AppleWorks for Windows running in a wine bottle on my Mac at work for this purpose. It's probably even 10.10 compatible, although I don't remember the last time I had to open the thing.

edit: have you tried LibreOffice? It might work on the documents but drawings and spreadsheets are probably beyond it.

gskibum
Contributor III

Thanks Emmert. But I think that will be to complicated for her. I sure do wish Text Edit would open them!

Hmmm, I wonder if an AppleScript can get these files exported to .doc...

Karlhehr
New Contributor II

If they are AppleWorks 6 files they will open in Pages. Other wise check out this Apple Support link https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4667306

dmohs
Contributor

I have used the latest versions of LibreOffice to open AppleWorks drawing documents. I do not recommend attempting to edit the converted files.