OS Requirements for Yosemite

gskibum
Contributor III

I created a policy for deploying Yosemite via Self Service, with one requirement being that the system have 10.6.8 or newer, based on the information from this article:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

And this link:
iTunes.apple.com

However the upgrade failed on a system running 10.6.8. This is the log entry and it says 10.7 is required.

Executing Policy OS X Yosemite - Install Cached... [STEP 1 of 1] Verifying package integrity... Installing Install OS X Yosemite.InstallESD.dmg... Preparing for in-place OS upgrade... OS X Installer is for 10.10.1. Must be 10.7 or later to deploy it as an upgrade. Closing package... Blessing in-place OS upgrade directory... Creating Reboot Script...

I'll just upgrade this box to Mavericks first, but where does the discrepancy lie? I'm successfully using this same policy to upgrade from OS versions newer than 10.6.78, so I know I have the correct download (I downloaded it via the Mac App Store).

Has anyone run across this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi
What was the OS Version on the machine you used to download the OS Install App you used to create the upgrade policy? With Mavericks I did get the same error when I downloaded it on a machine that was not 10.6.8.

Seems to me that apple delivers different versions to 10.6 machines. However I had no problems upgrading a 10.7 or 10.8 machine to 10.9 with the installer that was downloaded under 10.6.8.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi
What was the OS Version on the machine you used to download the OS Install App you used to create the upgrade policy? With Mavericks I did get the same error when I downloaded it on a machine that was not 10.6.8.

Seems to me that apple delivers different versions to 10.6 machines. However I had no problems upgrading a 10.7 or 10.8 machine to 10.9 with the installer that was downloaded under 10.6.8.

Hope this helps!

gskibum
Contributor III

Win!

The box that was used to do the Yosemite download was running Mavericks.

Think I'll make a 10.6.8 boot volume somewhere to keep around for accessing these OS upgrades.

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have a virtual machine with 10.6.8 on my machine. Very convenient.

analog_kid
Contributor

Odd. I saw this same error (OS X Installer is for 10.10.1. Must be 10.7 or later to deploy it as an upgrade") when a tech tried upgrading a 10.9.3 machine via a Casper policy I've used many times in the past as well. I'm not sure how this fits with the theory that there's a different version of the installer for different OS's.

I've only tested upgrading 10.9.5 but our techs on the other hand aren't so careful. However, Apple's docs mention only 10.6.8 as a specific patch level requirement so not sure why 10.9.3 *wouldn't* upgrade.