OS upgrades and potential disk errors

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

Gearing up to do hundreds of OS upgrades from Self Serve and/or via Casper Remote. We haven't pushed major version upgrades with Casper before, but I've got a createOSXinstallPkg that's working just fine.

With some of my tests I've run a disk util verify disk prior to upgrade, just for good measure. Currently I've got one that results in a disk error (incorrect extended attributes>needs repair).

In reality, when offering an OS upgrade to large volumes of users, what is the risk of running it with a preexisting condition like that?

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Not much, or I should say, not any more than a disk that reports no issues. Extended attributes are pretty minor issues overall and really shouldn't cause the upgrade to go south.
With our OS upgrade process, we only run a S.M.A.R.T check on the disk to be sure its reporting as verified. If not, we don't allow the upgrade until that's addressed since that's a potentially more serious problem.

Chris
Valued Contributor

I'm more worried about people not connecting their laptop to a power outlet
and running out of juice during the upgrade.
Had that happen recently, apparently a notification when they start the upgrade isn't sufficient sometimes ;)