OS X Install Data and macOS Install Data on root of HD

rgerman
Contributor

I recently had two instances where users contacted me, reporting that their computer keeps booting to the OS X install menu with a message the install could not be completed and the only option being restart. This would loop upon every reboot. Upon investigating, the issue, I found the computers were booting to a errant Install folder on the root of the hard drive. Upon deleting the Install folder, which on one computer was called "OS X Install Data " and on the second computer "macOS Install Data" The system booted with the circle with a slash through it. The only way I could get the computer to boot was to re-install OS on the machine. Has anyone else experienced this? I created a script to find all the computers that have these folders on the root drive and it appears to be a quite prolific issue.

My understanding, the folders are left overs of an unsuccessful clean up after an update.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

1 REPLY 1

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Ran into something similar after a Security update. In the OS X Install Menu, I went to Utilities and changed the Start-up disk to Macintosh HD. You can also do this with an external bootable drive and go to System Preferences.

Not sure if we have the same problem, but worth a shot?