/OS X Install Data is not a directory (10.10 to 10.11 - Self Service).

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to install OS X 10.11 via Self Service and I'm having this error. Using OS X 10.11 works fine, but 10.11.1 does not.

This is what I've done so far, testing is being done on OS X 10.10.5.

1. Create a policy that caches the 10.11 installer .pkg (created with createOSXinstallPkg)
  2. Create another policy that installs the cached package and reboots to the installer. I get the popup "This computer is scheduled to be rebooted", but it never does.

jamf.log:

optional image ALT text

Cache the Installer

optional image ALT text

Install Cached packages

optional image ALT text

optional image ALT text

Has anyone else experience this error?

Sidenote

Using a smart group to find cached packages does not work for me. I just get zero results.

optional image ALT text

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aziz
Valued Contributor

The new update for createOSXinstallPkg fixed my issue.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Recreating installer with createOSXinstallPkg.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

@Abdiaziz We had this issue as well and the response from JAMF was to initiate the restart via Script and not policy. The bad thing about that is then you can't use the authenticated restart to bypass FileVault. There is a thread somewhere here on JAMFNation that discusses it and I will look for it when I return to the office tomorrow.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@FritzsCorner Thanks! It it just a simple restart script, or is there more to it?

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

@Abdiaziz I modified the script that @rtrouton has listed on his Github to work in my environment. Basically the reboot just needed to be triggered via the script using shutdown -r now but I liked the other stuff that @rtrouton had done so I decided to go with his script.

https://github.com/rtrouton/rtrouton_scripts/blob/master/rtrouton_scripts/Casper_Scripts/self_servic...

I am still trying to dig up the response I got from JAMF on why the script was needed instead of just using the built in policy functionality. I will post back when I find it.

Update: I looked through my support case history and it looks like it was something they informed me about on a phone call so I don't have anything written that explains why it works. Hope this info helps you out. Good Luck!

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@FritzsCorner I tried the "shutdown -r now" after the policy ended and it just took me back to the login window. I might possibility call my TAM.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

@Abdiaziz

I tried the "shutdown -h now"

I haven't tested with the Halt flag before. Do you get the same results if you use the -r flag? Are the logs still showing /OS X Install Data is not a directory?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@FritzsCorner Whoops, I meant to say "shutdown -r now". I'll only get the "/OS X Install Data is not a directory" error if I use JAMF"s built in reboot to installer option.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

You have the script set to AFTER correct?

nkalister
Valued Contributor

huh, Rich's disabling FV SSO in his script, I wonder why . . . . I've never done that in mine, and haven't noticed any issues with FV macs.

FritzsCorner
Contributor III

@Abdiaziz @nkalister

Here is the Jamfnation thread I referenced when I had the issue.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=14728

nkalister
Valued Contributor

Oh, ok, it was about the dots in the password field not drawing correctly, then? I have seen that, actually, but since it didn't affect the installation we didn't do anything beyond documenting it as normal behavior.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@FritzsCorner @nkalister

I'm testing this on a machine without FV, and the script is set to "After".

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@nkalister,

I'm using a firstboot package as part of my upgrade procedure, which runs while the Mac is at the OS loginwindow. I'm disabling FileVault's automatic login so that the OS loginwindow comes up and the firstboot package runs normally.

In turn, one of the firstboot packages' embedded installers re-enables the FileVault 2 automatic login.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

That makes sense, thanks Rich!

Aziz
Valued Contributor

The new update for createOSXinstallPkg fixed my issue.

WUSLS
New Contributor

Can you share the link where you found the updated version of createOSXinstallOkg?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@WUSLS

Here ya go:

https://github.com/munki/createOSXinstallPkg

krispayne
Contributor

I've followed all this, running an up to date version of createOSXInstallPKG, etc. But it always boots to the login window at the end. I tried having reboot in the Files and Processes, a script calling shutdown -r now, and the Policy reboot (Mac OS X Installer, reboot immediately on both options).

All of them go to the login window :-(. I can't seem to wrap my head around this, this time. Doing a 10.9 to 10.10 upgrade, have successfully done the 10.7 to 10.8 in Self Service a while back, but this one keeps giving me so much guff.