OT: better method of implementing iPad age restrictions

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

On the recommendation of my Apple SE, I submitted the following enhancement request to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

"I manage 1000 1:1 iPads in a K-12 high school, where the students take home the iPad.

We have deemed that we need to provide an additional two or three web browsers in addition to Safari, to enable Flash and Java. We also wanted to age restrict apps to 12+.

Since currently the age restriction removes all apps that match from the screen, I am not allowed to implement age restrictions.

I can think of two possible solutions. 1) A method of whitelisting certain apps based on their uniqueness (perhaps softwareVersionBundleId). 2) a method of allowing age restricted apps installed with a whitelisted Apple ID. This latter method would be easier for consumers to implement as they could do it in Parental Controls and have a separate Apple ID than their children. Or perhaps 3) let the age restriction be on the actual installing of an app. When enabled, no age restricted app can be installed. When restricted, existing apps stay and further apps are not allowed."

2 REPLIES 2

lhnshana
New Contributor

I am looking for a way around this exact issue

200 iPads in a 1:1 setting with a 12+ app restriction. We'd like for them to still be able to use Chrome and a few other apps that are rated 17+ in the app store that we've deemed appropriate for them.

The whitelist would be the best solution for us.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Please make sure to submit a bug report to Apple (first sentence of my post above) if you have not already!