OT: RAM Upgrades, recommended brand/type?

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hey everyone, a bit off topic, but I was just curious if any of you had a preferred brand of RAM to buy for upgrades. We've got a sizable fleet of 15" MBPs (non-retina) that we are going through and upgrading to 16GB of RAM and I wanted to see if anyone had strong opinions on the matter. We've had one machine get bad RAM and cause some issues (some off-brand RAM that was purchased before my time on the team).

Let me know, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Crucial is what I've been using at the last two jobs. We've also used OWC a couple of times here too. Sometimes though we don't buy directly from Crucial.com as in certain situations the same exact model memory is cheaper on a site like Amazon.com (not sure why, but I'm not going to argue). It really depends on where we can get the best deal. You can also check on NewEgg.com and specify the memory specs and look at reviews for that particular memory model which can help sometimes.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

plus 1 for Crucial

lwindram
Contributor
  • 1 for crucial as well. I've never had any problems with their memory.

FWIW I recently paid $115 for 16GB.

tomt
Valued Contributor

We have been using OWC for years with no issues that I can recall. We've also used Crucial in the past and had no problems there either.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Used to use mainly Crucial, but the last 5+ years we went OWC (macsales.com) and I've never had any issues.
Top notch service and good prices.
I've used their service for other devices under warranty and was very happy with them.