Outlook 2011 - Online Archiving Tools, PST Migrations

ndobric
New Contributor

Greetings Everyone,

Has anyone come across any tools or processes for automatically migrating Outlook 2011 PST(On My Computer) folders to an Office 365 Online Archive?

Our Windows environment is using a tool from Barracuda that is handling the process automatically, we would like to find something similar.

7 REPLIES 7

kstrick
Contributor III

we met with microsoft about this, they have no good solution, other than copying to the server manually....
which is very tedious with outlook 2011.... and still tedious with outlook 2016 so far... ok, so not a good solution

we are playing with 'OLM to PST Converter Ultimate' by Gladwev to create PST files from the On My Computer local files....
(can go right to PST, no need to create OLM first)

PST's will be uploaded to the O365 online archives using PSTFlightDeck on the windows side of the house, so we are trying to see if we can do the same with the PST's we create on the Mac...
(may need to copy to those to PC or network share)

ndobric
New Contributor

I think either way we spin it, it's going to be messy.

kstrick
Contributor III

yeah, it's not pretty.

talkingmoose

One way or the other, you're going to have to copy messages from your Mac to the server. Messages are stored as individual messages and not part of something line a Windows .pst file.

The most efficient way to get messages from Outlook's On My Computer folders into your other account is to "move" them directly (copy and delete). You can do this with drag and drop (holding the Command key) or you can automate it using AppleScript. The advantage of moving is you'll eventually delete your local items, which makes tracking progress easier.

When we moved from Google to Office 365 and I wanted to transfer my data, I created a simple AppleScript to move 500 messages at a time. I was being anal about my own email, so I didn't have a problem with this taking some time and monitoring the progress every now and then.

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

-- Get the count of messages in the folder
    set messageCount to count of messages of sent items of imap account "IMAP Account Name"

try
        -- Get the newest 500 messages
        set workingList to messages messageCount through -500 of sent items of imap account "IMAP Account Name"
    on error
        -- Or get the last messages under 500
        set workingList to messages messageCount through 1 of sent items of imap account "IMAP Account Name"
    end try

-- Move each message in the list from one account to the other
    -- Moving in Outlook is effectively "copy and delete"
    repeat with aMessage in workingList
        move aMessage to sent items of exchange account "Exchange Account Name"
    end repeat

-- After moving the messages, kick off a sync with the server
    sync sent items of exchange account "Exchange Account Name"

end tell​

I had to manually change each folder in the script when I was ready (inbox folder, sent items, etc.). Unfortunately, you can't "move" folders between accounts. They will copy.

Tedious, but you may find some use.

ndobric
New Contributor

This AppleScript may help. I'm going to test this out. Thanks a lot.

We used on of your other scripts for setting up lync as well. Nice work on that one.

jackkallis
New Contributor

You can try the Softaken OLM to PST Converter for safe and secure migration of the data from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook.

antoniobill
New Contributor

Mac and Windows users can try Mailvita OLM to PST Converter Tool. This utility easily migrates Outlook for Mac to Outlook for Windows. Users can save the original data and safe conversion Process.