Outlook for iOS - automatically enable Contact Sync?

lombarwi
New Contributor III

I am hoping to help my IT Department roll out JAMF in the next week or two (and for the users to be able to set up devices for themselves as much as possible).

One enourmous hurdle for our users will be the fact Outlook Contact sync has be enabled manually

Settings (inside Outlook) > Office 365 > Save Contacts

Is there any way that this can be scripted by JAMF to be in the 'on' position automatically?

The iOS version on the devices will be 15.3.1 (at the very least).

Regards,

William

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lombarwi
New Contributor III

Hi, I've given that a try and it works!

JAMF/Outlook presents things a slightly strange order though

First the automatic prompt for "Outlook Would Like to Access Your Contacts" appears with 'Don't Allow' and 'OK' as the options. Immiediately afterwards a notice with 'Your Admin has enabled Contact Save in Outlook's settings. Please grant permission....."

This may through some users off (and it seems to indroduce a bug where the user is prompted to sign in twice). In any case it is progress. Soon users will have iPhones for work and NOT for playing games on. Tears will be shed!

I've also found https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-for-ios-and-... I can expand the auto-setup a little further.

A major THANKS for your help. William

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

YanW
Contributor III

Let me know if this works...

In Jamf Pro, Devices > Mobile Device Apps > Microsoft Outlook > App Configuration > Put this in

<dict>

<key>com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled</key>
<true/>
</dict>

lombarwi
New Contributor III

Hi, I've given that a try and it works!

JAMF/Outlook presents things a slightly strange order though

First the automatic prompt for "Outlook Would Like to Access Your Contacts" appears with 'Don't Allow' and 'OK' as the options. Immiediately afterwards a notice with 'Your Admin has enabled Contact Save in Outlook's settings. Please grant permission....."

This may through some users off (and it seems to indroduce a bug where the user is prompted to sign in twice). In any case it is progress. Soon users will have iPhones for work and NOT for playing games on. Tears will be shed!

I've also found https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-for-ios-and-... I can expand the auto-setup a little further.

A major THANKS for your help. William

thlemaire
New Contributor II

Hi

we have a fleet of unmanaged iphones and we are looking into managing them. A lot of users are having doubled contacts showing up on their iPhone with a msoutlook:// Line in the contact notes. I think this comes from sync issues from Outlook since users check the option to save outlook contacts in the contact app in iPhone. But then these contacts sync to a personal iCloud account because they have their personal account on the devices. I recommended to not use this option in Outlook and instead i am looking to use a configuation profil for exchange contacts only with the option oAuth enabled. Is this a best practice to do soo? Have you faced similar issues ? Any advice to solve the problem ?

many thanks