Outlook patching

szeljkovic
New Contributor

We are currently in a bit of a pickle, we want to run updates on Outlook 2011 for Mac. Currently we have 70 Macbooks that do not have the most current update. I have looked through the manifests on JAMF but i was unable to find anything.

I would just write a script but the issue with that is that with the Outlook updates, you are forced to quit all running applications. I want this to run in the background and update when the user opens up outlook

thank you

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Take a look on Rich Trouton's site (http://derflounder.wordpress.com) He has a method on there for removing the script that causes the auto quitting of open apps when running the Office updaters. (Do a search for "Office")

However, it may not be the safest route to take to just remove that script and deploy. It might cause some odd issues if those applications are left open while the updates install. I don't know for sure, but if you don't want to bother your users with quitting open apps, its one way to go.

frozenarse
Contributor II

One option is to have your users kick it off via Self Service. Within the policy force users to view the description and have some instructions in there to have them close out of any open apps.