Overwhelming Permission Popups

bkuiper
New Contributor

I'm the new admin at my school, but apparently this problem has plagued our 1:1 Macbook program for years. We whitelist/blacklist programs for a specific set of allowed functions, and our students get constant "You don't have permission to use the application [X]" popups. I'm talking 5-6 at start up and multiple times an hour beyond that. The names of these processes have changed over time, but the most common ones are:

• MessagesActionExtension
  • TVCacheExtention
  • launcher
  • Google Updater (this one is recent, I might have the name wrong)

among many others. I've contacted JAMF support and they said to allow /Applications/Utilities/ and ~/Library into the whitelisted folders directory, but this does not solve the issue. It also allows Terminal use which is not what we wanted.

Trying to find and kill individual processes via Restricted Software has no effect positive or negative.

1 REPLY 1

mschlosser
Contributor

i'd go through the policies / config profiles / software restrictions, that may be causing these pop ups and unscope them; and re think your approach. In my opinion there is little advantage to blacklist terminal as an example, after all, if your users do not have admin rights as they shouldn't they can't do anything truly dangerous in terminal anyway so why restart it. 3rd party software that you didn't want, certain users ot use could just be moved to a directory where those users didn't have access. Long way of saying more than one to skin a cat.  Rethink your approach; not the first time I had to untangle poorly thought restrictions. Just because you can restrict something doesn't mean you should.