Packaging Cisco VPN issues

Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry about the last post for some reason sent from one of the other
accounts I have running.

I have packaged Cisco VPN using composer and uploaded the package to the
JSS. When I deploy via either HTTP or AFP it downloads or mounts the
package but doesn't copy any of the content?

Has anyone experienced this with this app or other packages. I am using
Casper 6 and other composer packages I have created all work fine.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Lang
Support Services Advisor
Client Services
Information Technology Services

Phone: +61 3 9919 2735
Fax: +61 3 9919 2785
Mobile: +61 411 259 496
Email: Chris.Lang at vu.edu.au

8 REPLIES 8

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

G'day,
On Aug 13, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Chris Lang wrote:

Are you trying to use the trick of putting your .pcf files into the "Profiles" folder, and having them deployed along with CiscoVPN? I couldn't make that work with the 4.9.01.0180 (last) version of CiscoVPN, had to create that as two installs...

--Robert

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

How did you package CiscoVPN? I packaged it with standard snapshots and that worked well for us

j

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am also facing issues in Cisco VPN Client 4.9.01.0100 package. Packaged it
with New and Modified snapsot method. When I deploy it with Casper Policy,
it deploys in Clients and shows the Policy is successfull. But if I open the
Cisco VPN Client on Client machines, its shows "Error 51 - Unable to
communicate with the VPN Subsystem".

Any changes to be made while packaging the VPN Client?

Regards,
Karthikeyan M

Not applicable

Hi
are you trying this on 10.6? this wont work, have to use the built-in VPN client

on 10.5.9 I have no issues with VPN client. I did a software package from Casper Composer.
cheers
Carmelo Lopez Portilla

ITS EMBL Heidelberg
Tel. +49 (0) 6221 387 8444
Fax +49 (0) 6221 387 8517
email: lopez at embl.de

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

That’s a common issue with the VPN client. The work around seems to be to create a new network location that has only the interface that you want to use the VPN with.

j

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

To fix the Error 51, try this command in Terminal:
On Feb 2, 2010, at 3:51 AM, Carmelo Lopez Portilla wrote:

sudo SystemStarter restart CiscoVPN

Actually I've had some luck with deploying it via Casper (one package the CiscoVPN client, the other for the profiles). The VPNClient 4.9.01.0180 does work under Snow Leopard - originally it wasn't supported by Cisco. However, I've seen kernel panics and some other issues (i.e. install CiscoVPN on a 10.5.x system, it works fine, upgrade to Snow Leopard, and it breaks CiscoVPN/doesn't move the kext's over/have to reinstall) that I think are attributable to the VPNClient (supposedly 4.9.01.0100 client works better, but we're moving forward to the built-in IPSec VPN client)...

And apologies for digging up an old thread... the original post I replied to was from 2008 (!), not sure why Mail.app decided to show it to me in the list of new messages yesterday and I didn't catch that before I replied. :banghead:

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Here are the instructions I have used to build a the Cisco VPNClient using
Composer 7.1:

Making of WSS Cisco VPN Client 4.9.01.0180 DMG package 1. Composer 7.1 - New Package ­ new and modified snapshot 2. Installed by opening the Cisco VPN client installer 3. Configured Cisco VPN Client with setting for our enterprise
environment and exited the application. 4. Clicked Build Package (final snap) 5. Did not remove any items that were discovered by the snapshot. 6. For /Application/VPNClient, set owner to 'root' and group to 'wheel'.
Applied owner and group to all enclosed. 7. Clicked 'Build as DMG'

Within Casper Admin: not filling the default user template nor the default
template. Only checking for Mac OS X 10.4.x or higher.

This package works with our Snow Leopard configuration. I have not tried it
with PPC or OSes older than Snow Leopard.

Jason

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Is there a particular reason why you can't copy the .mpkg file into Casper Admin and deploy that? Is it a non-standard .mpkg installer?

Just curious - I always try to use the OEM installers when ever possible. I haven't gotten to Cisco VPN yet, but its on the to do list. Great thread.

Thanks,

-- Ted August
Salve Regina University