Packaging Unreal Engine?

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

Does anyone know of a way other than Composer of creating a .pkg package containing folders to be installed at specific locations?

I'm trying to package the latest Unreal Engine for installation on our Media Department's Macs. Epic doesn't provide any sort of deployment tools, they just tell you to "install it through the launcher and mirror that using your deployment tools. Or you can compile it from source!" which is extremely unhelpful.

There are two folder structures, both are in /Users/Shared - one is /Users/Shared/Epic Games and the other is /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine.

Unfortunately, it seems that in recent years the size of Unreal Engine has ballooned massively and in total these folders take up 29GB. To put it into Composer I'd need double that amount of free space (29GB for Composer to copy it into its Source folder structure, and another 29GB for when it writes the package) and I just don't have that much free space right now.

Is there a way I can create a package from those folders as they are, without having to make an extra copy?

2 REPLIES 2

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Not another method, but may help in the short term.
I break mine up into smaller parts, keep them under 5Gb. Use composer to capture the basic install, but tell it to ignore the Users/Shared folders.
Then go back in to Composer and pick the files to keep it under 5Gb for each build. Once you are done with one you can delete it to free up space.
When you build your policy, simply add them all in. They will upload in order of priority, but once all there I have found that they install Alphanumerically.

Qwheel
Contributor II