Parameter Issue in Script When Used in Policy

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Greetings, all! I have a pretty (what I believe to be) nifty script which checks to see if specified processes or applications are running before executing a policy.

My first really application for this is to be used for Office 2016 updates. I would pass the five Office applications (Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word) as the processNameX variables where X is an incremental integer beginning at 1. I also pass the jamfPolicyType and eventorIDName variables in the policy itself with "-id" and "841" respectively. The 841 integer represents the policy that I have created which simply installs the package when it is called on. I have a similar script but it only has 1 processName variable/parameter and it works flawlessly both locally and when used in the JSS. I made a few modifications, all of which were pretty simple, to accommodate for the added parameters being passed. This script runs beautifully when I run it locally and in the JSS when I pass the variables in the script itself but throws an error when I use the parameters at the policy level. Specifically there is an error with the eventorIDName parameter. The following error is received:

No policies were found for the "/0" trigger.

To correct this, I have to pass the -id associated with the policy I would like to run in the script. When I do this, it works with no errors whatsoever. I have also tried running other policy -id as well (like 1 for the update inventory default) all of which yield the same above error. For reference, please find my screen capture of the script details below.

Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong here?

ab1d5fc74c5a4f7089931eb07419ae6f

#!/bin/sh

####################################################################################################
#
# DEFINE VARIABLES & READ IN PARAMETERS
#
####################################################################################################
#
# A HARDCODED VALUE FOR "processNameX," "jamfPolicyType" and "eventorIDName" CAN BE SET BELOW.
#
# A list of accepted process name values can be verified in Activity Monitor.
#
# Delete the double quotes and replace with the desired process name and/or event name, e.g. 
# processNameX=Safari.app or eventorIDName=runSafariPolicy. For jamfPolicyType, pass "-id" or "-event."
# 
# If this script is to be deployed via policy using the JSS leave the next line as is.
#
# Created by Sepie Moinipanah, November 2016
#

processName1=""
processName2=""
processName3=""
processName4=""
processName5=""
jamfPolicyType=""
eventorIDName=""

#
# SCRIPT CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE
#

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 4 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName1"

if [[ "$4" != "" ]] && [[ "$processName1" == "" ]]
then
    processName1=$4
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 5 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName2"

if [[ "$5" != "" ]] && [[ "$processName2" == "" ]]
then
    processName2=$5
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 6 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName3"

if [[ "$6" != "" ]] && [[ "$processName3" == "" ]]
then
    processName3=$6
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 7 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName4"

if [[ "$7" != "" ]] && [[ "$processName4" == "" ]]
then
    processName4=$7
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 8 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "processName5"

if [[ "$8" != "" ]] && [[ "$processName5" == "" ]]
then
    processName5=$8
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 9 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "jamfPolicyType"

if [[ "$9" != "" ]] && [[ "$jamfPolicyType" == "" ]]
then
    jamfPolicyType=$9
fi

# CHECK TO SEE IF A VALUE WAS PASSED IN PARAMETER 10 AND, IF SO, ASSIGN TO "eventorIDName"

if [[ "$10" != "" ]] && [[ "$eventorIDName" == "" ]]
then
    eventorIDName=$10
fi

#
# JAMF HELPER CONTENTS - DO NOT MODIFY BELOW THIS LINE
#

/usr/bin/curl -s -o /tmp/settings_icon.png 
http://orig12.deviantart.net/8a27/f/2014/340/8/c/round_ios_7_settings_icon_by_pgbiel-d88y06v.png

icon="/tmp/settings_icon.png"
jamfHelper="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper"
windowType="hud"
description="One or more of the following applications are open. Please ensure that ALL are closed.

$processName1, $processName2, $processName3, $processName4, $processName5

Once confirmed, please try again."
button1="OK"
title="Warning: Application(s) Running"
alignDescription="left" 
defaultButton="1"
cancelButton="1"
timeout="30"

#
# CHECK TO SEE IF THE SPECIFIED PROCESS IS RUNNING, THEN ECHO STATEMENT DEPENDING ON CONDITION
#

processRunning1=$(ps axc | grep "${processName1}$")
processRunning2=$(ps axc | grep "${processName2}$")
processRunning3=$(ps axc | grep "${processName3}$")
processRunning4=$(ps axc | grep "${processName4}$")
processRunning5=$(ps axc | grep "${processName5}$")
jamf="/usr/local/bin/jamf"

if [[ $processRunning1 != "" ]] || [[ $processRunning2 != "" ]] || [[ $processRunning3 != "" ]] || [[ $processRunning4 != "" ]] || [[ $processRunning5 != "" ]]
then
     echo "$processName1, $processName2, $processName3, $processName4 or $processName5 is/are running. Prompt user to close the application(s) and re-run policy from Self Service."
     #JAMF Helper
     userChoice=$("$jamfHelper" 
-windowType "$windowType" 
-lockHUD 
-title "$title" 
-timeout "$timeout" 
-defaultButton "$defaultButton" 
-cancelButton "$cancelButton" 
-icon "$icon" 
-description "$description" 
-alignDescription "$alignDescription" 
-button1 "$button1")
else
     echo "$processName1, $processName2, $processName3, $processName4 or $processName5 is/are NOT running. Search for $jamfPolicyType triggered by $eventorIDName and install $processName1, $processName2, $processName3, $processName4 and $processName5."
     $jamf policy $jamfPolicyType $eventorIDName
fi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@sepiemoini any positional parameters higher than 9 in bash need to use a more strict variable expansion. For parameters 10 and 11, where you are using "$10", "$11", change then to "${10}" and "${11}"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@sepiemoini any positional parameters higher than 9 in bash need to use a more strict variable expansion. For parameters 10 and 11, where you are using "$10", "$11", change then to "${10}" and "${11}"

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Excellent, thanks @chriscollins--that did the trick!