patch management - completion prompt?

hdsreid
Contributor III

Is there any way to report to the user an app has finished patching? At the moment, they get a notification that it is going to close the app, however they are given no feedback on whether the app is finished updating. the app does not launch after install automatically either.
Getting some questions from some frustrated managers. The only option I currently see is to edit each package manually and add a postinstall script line to display a jamfhelper line, but that is far too time consuming to do.
I also can't run a patch as a policy with any options other than just downloading the PKG file. 9/10 times this isn't a big deal because patches are put on the self service portal for the user to update. However, critical vulnerabilities are treated differently, and this is where the problem arises.
Any advice?

2 REPLIES 2

walt
Contributor III

One idea, is if you can run a recon after the patch update, which would call a separate policy scoped to check that the update was installed with the jamfhelper prompt. seems a bit cumbersome to have multiple triggers/policies for patch, unless Jamf has plans to enhance patch management.

hdsreid
Contributor III

how are you recommending run the recon through the built-in patch management? i believe it automatically does do a recon to update the software records after a patch completes/fails.