Patch management

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi Team,

I have a small doubt, can anyone explain me please

1.How we will create a package?

2.If we need a package(latest version of mac os) then how we will get it, whether the jamf will give or we should take from apple or we should create it?

3.In jamf pro we have patch management, in that what is meant by patch policy tab? And what is the use of it?

4.In jamf pro, in policies tab when we create a new policy, there is also a tab called packages? What is it use of?

5.If we create a package in settings-->computer management-->package-->click on new what is meant by manifest file?

6. Suppose if we have package with latest version and the user has already available then what is the use of that package creation?

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hi @harsha, have you gone through any training at all on either Jamf Pro or Mac management? If not, I highly suggest looking at doing some of that training if you can. You can, for example, go to Jamf's training page and sign up to take their Jamf 100 course, which will give you the basic understanding of management tools and processes. It gives you a good overview of Apple device management.

There is also the documentation provided by Jamf on their products, like the Jamf Pro Administrator Guide, which often detail specific topics like the ones you're asking about, and should get you pointed in the right direction.

To answer your questions though, Jamf doesn't supply any software packages with their product or patch management within it. There's a possibility something like this kind of service will be offered at some time, but we're not there yet. For now, it's up to you to obtain the packages, or build them yourself using a product like Composer, or Packages.app, etc. I suggest whenever possible, using a package direct from a vendor rather than building your own or trying to repackage an existing one. Sometimes the latter steps are necessary, but many software vendors supply valid installer packages, so I would explore that route first. That should answer your questions 1 & 2 above.

For question 3, I suggest looking at Jamf's documentation because it's a lot to explain here in a post.

For question 4, the Packages tab in a policy is used to add in a package to that policy. But the package has to be there in your Jamf repository first. It has to be uploaded prior to creating the policy or nothing will show up there.

For 5, if you have a Jamf cloud setup and have a Jamf cloud distribution point, clicking New on the Packages page will let you select an existing package from your local device and upload it directly. Don't worry about the manifest item as it's not normally necessary. It's only used in certain circumstances.

I'm not sure I understand your question # 6. But if my guess is right, you're asking how you prevent reinstalling software to a Mac that already has it or has the right version. If so, Smart Computer Groups are often used for this purpose so you're only targeting the Macs that actually need the software or need it updated. Patch Management is used to update Macs that already have it but don't have the current version. It can't be used for deploying the software as net new.

harsha
New Contributor III

Hi mm2270,

using a package direct from a vendor means taking the package(latest mac os version) from apple team?

from 5, means if get the package from the vendor, which is in my localsystem,i can directly click on manifest and upload the package it self?