.pkg .dmg .sh file permission/ownership when uploading to Casper Admin ??

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

when i upload a .pkg .dmg .sh file to Casper Admin, who should be the owner of that file prior to uploading it? and what should be the permissions?

so if i am logged in as a standard or administrator and create the file under this user, does it matter if this user uploads the file?

do i have to chown root:wheel ./file ?
do i have to chmod 744 ./file ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

As far as I'm aware, the permissions prior to upload shouldn't make a difference. Casper Admin will add or change the permissions as needed when uploading it to make sure the casperinstall account (or whatever you named it) has access to read the pkg or dmg so it can use it in the future.
The only time I can think it would matter is if you really messed around with the permissions to set them to something very odd, or locked the file, and Casper Admin was no longer able to manipulate the perms on it when uploading. Assuming you are just creating or obtaining the packages, and uploading them without screwing around with the permissions, they should be OK as is.

IOW, let Casper Admin do its job. It will take care of making sure the packages are readable by the accounts that need access to them for deployment later.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

As far as I'm aware, the permissions prior to upload shouldn't make a difference. Casper Admin will add or change the permissions as needed when uploading it to make sure the casperinstall account (or whatever you named it) has access to read the pkg or dmg so it can use it in the future.
The only time I can think it would matter is if you really messed around with the permissions to set them to something very odd, or locked the file, and Casper Admin was no longer able to manipulate the perms on it when uploading. Assuming you are just creating or obtaining the packages, and uploading them without screwing around with the permissions, they should be OK as is.

IOW, let Casper Admin do its job. It will take care of making sure the packages are readable by the accounts that need access to them for deployment later.