Populate ARD fields from casper suite console to computers

jmercier
Contributor II

Hi...

we configured manually some informations in ARD fields 1 and 2 in our admin console in casper.

We want those information to be copied locally in the same fields on the specific computers... but those information does not seems to be copied onto computers... is there a way to do this ?

so... : Some informations in ARD fields 1 a 2 in casper ... to be copied into ARD fields 1 and 2 on computers...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jmercier
Contributor II

same version... these fields are in auto run...

but the thing is my tech entered the info after imaging the computers... oups......

i found it....

those fields are in auto run... so i just need to set only auto run to set the fields and not to reimage the computers and thats it... pfffffff.

thanks to all...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

justinrummel
Contributor III

I thought there was an MCX setting for previous versions of the JSS. However, to read the data the jamf binary is doing:

[code]defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist Text1[/code]

thus you could do create a script that does the following:

[code]sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist Text1 "WINNING"[/code]

jmercier
Contributor II

hi....

that could do... but que thing is... in casper there is a place we can put in manually info 1 through info 4... there must be a way to transfert that info into machines... otherwise... these fields are in casper for nothing...

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yes, take a look at the help page for ARDAgent's kickstart-

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -help

Specifically, the ones you're looking for are:

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -set1 -1 "some text"

Change to -set2 -2, -set3 -3, etc to set up to the 4 fields.

mm2270

Whoops, double post

jmercier
Contributor II

Thanks mm2270....

but i wish it could be automatic from my info in casper instead of doing lines by lines, machine by machines... all my info ARD 1 is already in casper suite... so i wish a method that the casper console could send those info to the computers automatically

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I would check out the setARDFields command in the Jamf binary - type "jamf help setARDFields" in terminal.

jmercier
Contributor II

yeah... that works... BUT... i need to enter manually from terminal each field one by one since they are the inventory number of each computer...

is there a way to mix that command line... and to go grab my info that is aleardy written in casper database ?

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

What version of Casper are you running? I am on 8.73 and don't see a place in a machine's record where I can enter info for the ARD fields.

mm2270

Same here. On 8.73 I don't see where those strings would show up in a computer record. In fact, in Casper Remote 8.73 I don't see where to add those to a record. Is this just something that happens during initial imaging or at some other stage? We don't use these fields, so I'm unclear where they even get set for a record in the database.

jmercier
Contributor II

same version... these fields are in auto run...

but the thing is my tech entered the info after imaging the computers... oups......

i found it....

those fields are in auto run... so i just need to set only auto run to set the fields and not to reimage the computers and thats it... pfffffff.

thanks to all...