Prevent a specific ios app from being deleted

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi!

Our middle schoolers are 1 to 1 w/ iPads and are able to add apps from Self Service and delete apps not needed. This helps them to self-manage free space on their devices

Is there a way using an app configuration to prevent deletion of one specific app?

we already have this box UNCHECKED but it does not prevent the app from being deleted (🫤): 

“Allow users to remove app (iOS 14 or later)
Allows the user to remove this app from a device. The app is not removed from the App Catalog in Jamf Pro.”

Thanks!

sandy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

It looks like this setting does in fact work! What happens is that the iPad will allow them to remove it from their home screen or the dock - but not delete it. Then the app just lives in the App Library but if they try and delete it from there they get a dialogue telling them they can’t. So that Jamf setting does work, it just has a little more flexibility on the user’s behalf built into it than I would have thought.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

It looks like this setting does in fact work! What happens is that the iPad will allow them to remove it from their home screen or the dock - but not delete it. Then the app just lives in the App Library but if they try and delete it from there they get a dialogue telling them they can’t. So that Jamf setting does work, it just has a little more flexibility on the user’s behalf built into it than I would have thought.

pkerobinson
New Contributor III

Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for and could not find anywhere in documentation. The functionality may have changed since the last post. I tested it today and, on attempting to delete an app with this unchecked got "Uninstall Not Allowed This app cannot be deleted because it is required by Auburn School Department." The app remained on the home screen.

The global restriction preventing deletion of any apps does allow the user to remove an app from the home screen, leaving it in the app library, but that, of course, doesn't help with recovering storage space.