Printer Migration

donparfet
Contributor

Short story: How to change the AD print server name on our Macs?
We are upgrading our Windows print servers, migrating all current print queues to the new servers. Once the server is built and the printers are migrated, we are sharing the new printers and for our Windows systems pushing the new printers via AD. The 'old' printers are still available and will continue to work in the interim. The only thing changing is the print server name. The current output of lpstat -v might show
device for PRINTSERVER_PRINTER_NAME: smb://printserver.domain.edu/printer_name

we want to change PRINTSERVER to NEWSERVER
looking for ideas how to accomplish this? Might this be as simple as updating the printserver name in a config file someplace on the local Mac?

4 REPLIES 4

tlagrange
New Contributor III

We like to use lpadmin with our macs. Here's how I would remove the old one:

lpadmin -x $PRINTER_NAME

Then to add the new printer:

lpadmin -p $PRINTER_NAME -v smb://$NEWSERVER

Check out the man page for additional modifiers to lpadmin if you want to add things like drivers or location data.

donparfet
Contributor

I ran the following commands to remove on printer and add the new printer

lpadmin -x WESLEY_ITS_MFP1_D
lpadmin -p RLC_PRINT_01_ITS_MFP1 -v smb://rlc-print-01.ptloma.edu

now there are no printers listed in system preferences - printers
now when I run lpstat -a to check printer status I get

RLC_PRINT_01_ITS_MFP1 not accepting requests since Fri Apr 1 12:06:40 2016 - reason unknown

tlagrange
New Contributor III

My bad @donparfet; I forgot to include the enable modifier, here's how to fix it:

lpadmin -p RLC_PRINT_01_ITS_MFP1 -E

In the future you would just include "-E" at the end of the lpadmin command. Sorry about that!

donparfet
Contributor

Thanks! Now command line tools say the printer queue is alive, but still not seeing a printer in system preferences - printers