Apparently* after upgrading to 13.4 my users are receiving the following error when trying to print.
The users are all running with active directory "mobile accounts" and previously had no problems printing.
If an admin account is used to print on the machine, the "mobile account" users no get the message and are able to print just fine.
If a script is used to print as an admin account then the users are are able to print but still receive the message.
Has anyone else seen this on Ventura 13.4 ?
(I am aware there have been issues on older versions, and I would prefer not to make users print administrators)
* no one has mentioned it previously so I believe this to have been introduced between 13.3.1(a) and 13.4
I have put together a script to be run as a policy via self service which temporarily adds the user to the lpadmin group so they can print and then removes them as after printing once the problem seems to go away. I'll post it here but be aware although it appears to work in testing I haven't had the opportunity to try it out on my users...
We just got our first report of this issue today. The user very recently updated from macOS Monterey 12.6.5 to 12.6.6 before it started. Using local accounts and Jamf Connect. Hoping someone may find an answer or solution that doesn't require making them print admins, even temporarily.
Update: I added the user to the lpadmin group and the next time they attempted to print they didn't get the prompt and were able to print successfully. I then removed them from the lpadmin group and the next time they attempted to print they got the prompt again. Sounds like I need to keep them in that group until whatever is causing this is fixed or there is a real solution.