Problem Building DMG from source - Composer

AlanSmith
Contributor

So, I'm trying to package up the behemoth that is Apple's Logic Studio 2.

Using Snapshot in Composer v8.7 on a MacBook Pro running 10.8.3 with 250GB available Disk space.

Everything went well, no issues until I clicked the "Build as DMG" button.
At that stage it created the Archive (percentage slowly climbed to 100%)
But when it got to the "Creating DMG Archive" stage, it took a very long time. So long that I had to leave it running overnight only to find it still sitting at that point the next day!
I have also tried the 'Build as PKG" option and with that it tends to get stuck at the 20% stage.

Any pointers or questions as to what I could try to make this work would be muchly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlanSmith
Contributor

OK, so it would seem my impatience was getting the better of me. Or at least the DMG/PKG building process took way longer than I expected.

After a couple of false starts, I tried again with the "Build as PKG" option and left it yesterday at 20% to see what would happen overnight. I got to work this morning to see it at 80%. And after about another hour or two, it finally finished the build!!!

So the moral of the story is, if you don't get an error message, just let it do it's thing, no matter how long it takes!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AlanSmith
Contributor

OK, so it would seem my impatience was getting the better of me. Or at least the DMG/PKG building process took way longer than I expected.

After a couple of false starts, I tried again with the "Build as PKG" option and left it yesterday at 20% to see what would happen overnight. I got to work this morning to see it at 80%. And after about another hour or two, it finally finished the build!!!

So the moral of the story is, if you don't get an error message, just let it do it's thing, no matter how long it takes!

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

How big is this final PKG? I've been working with a CS6 PKG that's 7.76gb and it takes about 40 minutes to build.

I suspect that even though it's a big package, there's something else going on. Perhaps the hardware performing the build is low on swap space or other tasks using cpu cycles?

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Hey Alan;

how big was the final package. i remember FinalCut Pro 6 was 60G

nkalister
Valued Contributor

The DMG's of all the discs in the box add up to almost 80 GB . . . . it's a beast!