Problem installing pkg using a policy

Not applicable

Hi all. We have casper suite v7.3.1 and I'm running into an issue when trying to install a simple selfervice.pkg created to update selfservice to the latest version.

The pkg is simply moving the old package to /tmp via a pre-install script then installing the new app to /Applications. Seems simple enough and works when installed locally through installer.app. However when I set it to install via a policy, it fails with the attached error. Any ideas?

![external image link](attachments/692b82b0acf4493e8864fd5c3d943d11)

5 REPLIES 5

dderusha
Contributor

Mare sure you recon the workstation again.
On Sep 7, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Aaron wrote:
we received that same error about the MBS Plugins, recon fixed it.

Thanks

Dan De Rusha

Not applicable

Strange. I thought recon was a one-time thing. I'll try it and see what happens.

Not applicable

I recently had a similar issue and it turned out that I forgot that BOTH the policy AND the trigger need to be scoped to the machine(s) in question.

The policy would run when I ran it by hand, but it seemed like it was never happening when it was supposed to. If you're using a custom trigger for the policy, definitely check its scope.

--Baker

Baker Franke
Computer Science Dept.
University of Chicago Laboratory Schools

Not applicable

I have it running every 15 while I try some changes. It's scoped to the one test machine, ongoing, with the every 15 trigger. The Self Service app version is updated, the app modification time is correct, etc. The jamf.log shows an install. This isn't anything different than I usually do with a number of different apps.

Tue Sep 7 11:18:18 2820-mp jamf[80789]: Checking for policies triggered by "every15"...
Tue Sep 7 11:18:20 2820-mp jamf[80789]: Executing Policy Install Self Service_7.3.0...
Tue Sep 7 11:18:21 2820-mp jamf[80789]: Installing selfservice7.3.pkg...
Tue Sep 7 11:18:34 2820-mp jamf[80789]: Successfully installed selfservice7.3.pkg.

Not applicable

Hi Terry,

Yup, that was it. I was using a preflight script to move it that had a typo. Once I fixed that, it now works. The strange thing was that it would install over the old one when I ran the package locally, but only caused an issue when installing via a policy.

Anyway, removing the previous version works. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Aaron