Push certificate was changed instead of updated - how to re-enroll ipads.

MOS
New Contributor

Hi,

A couple of months ago as the certificate was getting close to expiring, it appears that our push certificate was accidentally changed instead of updated. Since we have a super limited deployment at this point ( < 15 devices, all currently in my possession) the consequences of this wasn't noticed until I started trying to make some changes and the iPads are not responding to any of these changes. I have come to understand that I will need to re-enroll them, but none of the information I see on here or via various documentation matches what I am seeing in person. When I attempt to "Erase" my tester iPad via Jamf pro, the command sits in "Pending," which makes sense because there is a push cert mismatch. However when I get on the iPad itself (per this link) I don't have an "Erase All Content and Settings" I have "Reset all Settings," which does something but doesn't go through any Setup Assistant and the device equally doesn't respond to pushes after doing this. So I am kind of at a loss as to what I need to do.

It is worth mentioning that we purchased these iPads before we were aware of Jamf, so when they were initially enrolled, we had to add them manually via Apple Configurator and Apple Business Manager. I'm willing to go through that process again to fix this mistake, but at this point I'm a bit afraid that isn't how I fix it either and that I will make any problem worse. 

Any idea how I can fix this? Am I going about this the wrong way completely?

Thanks for the help!

3 REPLIES 3

RaxiaDK
Contributor

You have to reinstall it, and if you don't have en settings and your APNS is expire, you need to DFU mode and use AC2 to reinstall.

Iliana
New Contributor
Click Apple Push Certificates portal. In the new tab, sign in to the Apple portal with the Apple ID and password you used when you created the certificate. Next to the certificate you want to renew, click Renew and accept the terms of use.

wkelly1
New Contributor III

Hey MOS,

If your APNS certificate expires, the only way you can install a current certificate is to erase the iPad, as it seems like you've already been trying. The easiest way to do this now is to connect the iPads to a computer with Apple Configurator 2 installed and selecting Erase All Contents and Settings or Restore within Configurator.

It sounds like this isn't the case, but if you have anything on the devices that needs to be saved, you cannot do a direct backup and restore or else you'll end up with the expired certificate back in place. In this case, you need to restore the backup to a different iPad (and if that is acceptable as-is - you're done), take a backup from the new iPad, and then restore this new backup to the original iPad.